San Francisco In Europe

High School Abroad in Spain

Zoe K.

To start, I am loving Spain. However, I do miss home a ton. I'm originally from San Francisco, a pretty unique city that is very different from Madrid. It's very overwhelming (in the best way possible) to be LIVING in a completely new environment, so I was looking forward to going on a mini vacation.

Landing in Lisboa, I immediately fell in love. We first went to the Torre de Belem, and on the bus ride there, we passed what I thought was the Golden Gate Bridge, and I did a double take. In reality, it was the Vasco de Gama bridge, but seeing a bridge designed by the same architect who had created the signature bridge of my hometown made me feel immediately at home. I had a feeling about this city that was differentthen all the other ones I have seen while I was hre.

After eating the famous pasteis de nata (a little too many, to be honest), we made our way back to the hostel to get ready for the city tour. When the tour started, the guide mentioned that Portugal has seven hills, and again, I did a double take. SAN FRANCISCO DID TOO. Walking around on the tour both days, trekking on steep inclines lined with colorful houses and streets covered in incredible grafitti art, I felt like I was at home. Even the pigeons and birds that flew on the beach, were a comfort, even though I'm petricfied of them.

Looking at the view from Castillo de San Jorge, I teared up because of how in love with this beautiful city. Magical doesn't even begin to describe what I felt. I promised myself in that second that I will return to Lisboa, and SOON. 

P.S. Bacao is DELICOUS