The "Most"s

High School Abroad in France

Suzanna S.

Here are some of the “mosts” of my trip so far. None of them are particularly truths, just my opinions.

Most delicious food: freshly baked croissants, warm

Most disgusting food: Once, at the cafeteria at school, there was peach jell-O with bits of unidentifiable meat and cilantro. There was a film of congealed fat on top. Worst thing I have ever tasted.

Surprisingly good food: Snails. They taste just like buttered meat in a shell.

Easiest place to get lost: Really any of the streets. It pays off to be with someone who knows the city, or at least with a GPS. The buildings all look really similar, and some neighborhoods have streets that are all identical.

Scariest thing: I’m torn between being run over by one of the crazy fast drivers or missing a bus. I live about an hour away by bus, so when I miss one, I have to wait for an hour. There’s only one route that goes through my town, so if I miss the last bus, there’s nothing I can do. Thankfully, that hasn’t happened. Yet.

Most delightful thing: In the park next to my school, there’s a mini zoo and bright green parrots fly around like pigeons in summer.

Most alarming thing: The lack of vegetables! Maybe this is biased because I love vegetables, but I think that there’s a shocking lack of greens in the my diet here.

What I forget the most: Either faire la bise (kissing people’s cheeks when I meet them), or saying “Bonjour” when I enter a store. It’s a huge part of general politeness to say hello when someone enters a shop, or really even when passing someone on the street.

The bests and the worsts of France are nothing too extreme, nothing to be scared of. I certainly had fun discovering them. I continue to find new things every day - and I'm excited to learn more.