How to Apply for College: A Step-by-Step Guide

First Year Abroad

There are many details to keep in mind when applying for college. And when you’re also interested in a post-high school study abroad program like CIEE Gap Year or CIEE First Year Abroad, there’s even more to keep track of! 

But don’t worry – we’ve developed a step-by-step guide for how to apply for college and how this process overlaps with your study abroad program, so when you’re ready to get started on your next adventure, you’ll work through it with confidence. 

Steps for Applying to College and CIEE

High schoolers abroad entering London underground

You’ll need to keep several steps in mind when applying to college, namely getting organized and completing your college application. But in this step-by-step guide, we’ll also go further by outlining steps for applying for colleges while pursuing the adventure of your dreams with CIEE.

Let’s start with your college and CIEE program of choice and how it all fits together seamlessly! 

Step #1: Narrow down your school options. 

The first step you’ll want to take when applying for colleges is to get a better sense of what type of college you want to attend and which CIEE post-high school program is right for you. 

Let’s start with college: you can start narrowing down your options in a variety of ways, including: 

• Region or state: Consider what part of the world, country, or even what state, you want to attend college in. Remember – you likely save a lot of tuition by going to school in-state, but there are also some excellent out-of-state options. And don’t forget with CIEE, you can go to school in an exciting international city. 
  • Financial: It’s a smart idea to discuss with a parent or legal guardian and your school’s experts what’s financially feasible for you.
  • Degree program: Consider your desired degree, and if you’re not quite sure yet (which is totally normal), think about your interests and passions and how you can incorporate those into a future career. Then, see which institutions match up.
  • Extracurricular opportunities: Reflect on your other passions and research about extracurricular opportunities available on campus, like sports teams, dance, theater, and more. 
  • Size: Consider the size of your intended college – would you thrive in a large and lively student population, or would a smaller campus with small class sizes be best? 

After narrowing down your options, create a list of top schools you want to apply to. On average, students apply to six colleges total but go with a number that’s realistic for you while also considering each school’s standards, like acceptance rates. 

Step #2: Decide on your CIEE study abroad program. 

High school student posing in garden in France

Now that you have your list of top schools, comes another challenging decision: which CIEE program for high school graduates is right for you? 

The good news is that you can’t go wrong with either option; both CIEE Gap Year and First Year Abroad are incredible experiences. 

Keep in mind the main differences between the two programs. While both are excellent ways to explore the world around you after graduating high school, CIEE Gap Year offers independent exploration and structured language learning courses, while CIEE First Year Abroad is the beginning of your college career, which means taking general education classes and earning credits while abroad. 

To help narrow down the choice, consider what you hope to gain from an international education experience. Gap year is a fantastic way to gain independence, go up an entire proficiency level in another language, and feel refreshed and rejuvenated before starting college back in the U.S. First year abroad is a great way to see the world while getting those first semester, or first year, college credits under your belt. 

Read More: The Differences Between Gap Year and First Year Abroad 

When applying for college, determining which study abroad experience you want to pursue is important. More on this later. 

Step #3: Complete your college applications. 

One of the most critical steps for applying to college is the college application, which contains several required components, including:

• A copy of your high school transcript 
  • A list of your activities and other responsibilities
  • Test scores and dates from your college entrance exams 
  • Parent/legal guardian information 
  • Academic honors and achievements 
  • Personal essay
  • Supplement writing portion
  • Letters of recommendation

Make sure you complete each section of your application and put a lot of thought behind the more personal aspects of each submission, like the essay and other writing portions. Your family, high school guidance counselor, and teachers can help you navigate your application – we can even offer guidance, too! 

Important note: Include your CIEE study abroad involvement in your college application. Admissions teams will view this international experience favorably because you will have gained new skillsets and be well-prepared for success in college. It’s a great way to stand out in the crowd of applicants.

Step #4: Get organized. 

Your college applications come with deadlines, too. You must keep various deadlines organized, including your CIEE program ones, to ensure you submit your application on time and be officially considered for acceptance. 

Check out these general timelines here: Everything You Need to Know About the College Admissions Process

Now, let’s take a closer look at your CIEE deadlines and how these specific application processes fit in with college. 

CIEE Gap Year and Applying for Colleges 

If you’re considering CIEE Gap Year, submitting your college applications in November or December is a good idea. Then, in January–March, you can submit your application to CIEE Gap Year Abroad, which is around the same time you’ll start to receive your acceptance letters from college. After, you’ll want to check colleges’ gap year policies and discuss your deferral options.

Deferred admission means that while delaying your college enrollment for a semester or an academic year, you’ll remain an admitted student despite not yet attending classes. So, a gap year with deferred admission won’t affect your college admissions process or eventual enrollment.

By May, you can send a deposit to your chosen college and make a formal written request for deferment after accepting admission to the college. Your CIEE Gap Year Abroad deposit is due within ten days of acceptance and is nonrefundable, while your program fee balance will be due 30 days from your first statement being issued or 30-45 days prior to your departure date (whichever date comes first). 

Read More: Plan Your Gap Year

CIEE First Year Abroad and Applying for Colleges 

The process is a bit easier if you’re considering CIEE First Year Abroad! When you apply to CIEE First Year Abroad, you’ll also apply to our academic home and school of record, Dean College. CIEE’s enrollment team will guide you through the application and enrollment process for each. Upon acceptance into Dean College, you’ll be enrolled in the school’s Associate’s Degree of General Studies degree program.

So, while on program, you’ll be an enrolled student at Dean College but instead completing your first year credits in an exciting international city. When you return to the U.S. after your program, you have some options: 

If you continue your studies at Dean College, there’s not much you’ll have to do other than head to their beautiful campus. If you want to change your intended degree program, you can chat with their advising team. 

If you decide to transfer to a CIEE First Year Abroad college partner or college or university of your choice, you’ll need to complete a transfer application. This form is similar to a regular college application, which will be familiar to you. Remember to note your first year abroad experience on your application! 

Step #5: Be kind to yourself. 

Applying for colleges and your dream study abroad program can be overwhelming. After all, it’s a new journey in your life, with lots of information and deadlines to keep track of. 

Remember to be kind to yourself throughout the process and try to manage your stress as best you can by getting plenty of sleep, taking a break when you need it, and leaning on your support system. You got this! And we can’t wait for you to get started. 

GET STARTED TODAY