Everything You Need to Know About the College Admissions Process

First Year Abroad

Applying to college may seem overwhelming. There are all these varying deadlines and application requirements, and each application seems to include slightly different writing prompts than the last. We get it – and we’ve got you covered.

Follow along as we break down everything you need to know about the college admissions process so you can feel more at ease as you begin this exciting next journey (and so you can enjoy your CIEE study abroad program that much more!). 

What Is the College Admissions Process? 

Let’s start with the basics: what exactly is the college admissions process? In the U.S., it’s how you apply, and eventually get accepted, into college. 

College applications typically require high school transcripts, standardized test results, writing components, letters of recommendation, and more to qualify for acceptance into a higher education institution. Let’s take a closer look at some of these application components together. 

What Do You Need to Apply for College? 

Most colleges and universities in the U.S. utilize the common app. On this platform, you can upload your required documents and information to submit your college application to multiple schools at a time. Talk about a time saver.

But institutions that don’t use the common app and instead use their own online application system typically require the same information from applicants. Check them out here: 

1. A copy of your high school transcript: You can usually get this from your school’s guidance counselor! 
  2. A list of your activities and other responsibilities: Think about what you do outside the classroom; do you play sports? Or work a part-time job? You may have some volunteer experience. 
  3. Test scores and dates from your college entrance exams: These are your results from the SAT or ACT. Remember, not all colleges require test scores, so double-check ahead of time if this is necessary. 
  4. Parent/legal guardian information: Includes basic information like employment or prior education.  
  5. Academic honors and achievements: Don’t forget to include this! This will help you stand out from your peers.
  6. Personal essay: The average length of personal essays for a college application is about 400 – 600 words. Write about events, things, or even people in your life that have meaning to you and helped shape you. 
  7. Writing portion: Some applications require supplemental writing portions with additional prompts and word counts. Most prompts center on your experiences, like obstacles and challenges, personal growth, what a college education means to you, and more. 
  8. Letters of recommendation: Ask teachers, counselors, or other mentors in your life to submit this section on your behalf! 

While your college application has many requirements, the earlier you start working on accomplishing one element at a time, the more manageable the process will be! 

Schedule a time to chat with your high school guidance counselor as soon as possible to start going over the different requirements and give yourself ample time to complete each section thoroughly. For example, the personal essay might take a few weeks or months to perfect, so start that section first. You got this! 

How Does the College Admissions Process Work? 

After you submit your application to the colleges of your choice, each admissions team will review your application holistically, meaning they will review your application in its entirety and not just based on hard data like GPA and test scores. 

For example, while they’ll need to evaluate your application based on the college’s standards for GPA, test scores, and similar figures, they’ll also closely examine your essays, letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, and interest in studying at that particular institution. 

Each portion of your college application is important, so don’t get too bogged down with your test scores or a bad grade in high school; your overall experience matters. 

When Do College Applications Open? 

Do you apply for college junior or senior year? The answer lies within the various college application deadlines. If you don’t submit your applications on time, all those accolades you carefully gathered for the list above won’t be counted in the college admissions process. So, keep your eye on those critical dates.

You typically apply for college during your senior year of high school. But you can get a head start on some portions of your application during your junior year or the summer before your senior year. Still, college application deadlines fall during your senior academic year. Take a look at them here: 

• Early to mid-November: Early decision means you’ll get to submit your application before the regular application deadline, but your offer will be binding; if you’re accepted, you’ll be obligated to attend the school. You’ll likely receive a decision by mid-December. 
  • Early to mid-November: Early action means you’ll get to submit your application before the regular application deadline, but the decision is non-binding. You’ll likely receive a decision by mid-December.
  • Early January to mid-February: Regular decision means you’ll apply during when most other students apply. You’ll likely receive a decision by mid-March or early April. 
  • Rolling admissions: This means you’ll receive a decision four to six weeks after applying. Not all schools accept applications after regular decision deadlines, so do some research ahead of time. 

Remember – plan ahead! To stay on top of your deadlines, space out the application work you’ll have to do. 

How Does the College Admissions Process Work with CIEE? 

Let’s put it all together! As someone thinking about a CIEE study abroad program ahead of college or possibly preparing for an adventure right now, you need a better understanding of how the college admissions process works with our CIEE programs. Let’s dive in! 

CIEE Gap Year 

High school students posing in group in Italy

As you may already know, CIEE’s Gap Year programs are an exciting way to experience the world after high school, so you’ll return to the U.S. feeling refreshed, confident, and better prepared to start college. During your CIEE Gap Year, you’ll have ample time to explore incredible international cities and dedicate about 15 to 20 hours per week to structured language learning. 

Read More: Everything You Need to Know About Taking a Gap Year

Most students who embark on a gap year adventure defer college admission. Make sure to check with your college of choice that this is an option, although many schools accept it. Deferred admission means that while delaying your college enrollment for a semester or an academic year, you’ll remain an admitted student at the college despite not yet attending classes. 

So, taking a gap year with deferred admission won’t affect your college admissions process or eventual enrollment. You’ll apply to college during your senior year of high school, just as you typically would. After receiving your decision, you’ll need to discuss deferring admissions with the college admissions team. 

Even if you decide to forgo deferring admission and wait until you’re back in the U.S. to apply to school, you’re in luck after a gap year. While you’ll follow the same application requirements and deadlines, you’ll now have an incredible international adventure to add to it. Talk about standing out to an admissions team!

CIEE First Year Abroad 

Students posing on the street in Trevi District

Like CIEE Gap Year, CIEE First Year Abroad programs are another amazing way to experience the world after high school. The major difference between the two programs is that with first year abroad, you’ll actually start your college career while on program. So, how does CIEE First Year Abroad work with the college admissions process? In a few ways, actually! 

Read More: 4 First Year Abroad Programs You’ll Love 

When you apply to CIEE First Year Abroad, you’ll also apply to our academic home and school of record, Dean College (an incredible school in beautiful Franklin, Massachusetts). CIEE’s enrollment team will guide you through the application and enrollment process for each. Upon acceptance into Dean College, you’ll be enrolled in the school’s Associate’s Degree of General Studies degree program. 

Read More: Q&A with the President of Dean College 

While on your first year abroad program and adventuring throughout international cities, you’ll officially be an enrolled student at Dean College, earning up to 12 to 13 college credits. 

When you return to the U.S., you have some options: 

As a fully matriculated Dean College student in good standing, you can effortlessly transition to a degree program after your first year abroad. If you choose this option, you’ll have peace of mind that the credits you earned while abroad will seamlessly apply towards your degree. And another huge plus: you won’t have to complete a transfer application! 

If you decide to apply to a college partner or school of your choice, the courses offered on your first year abroad program are designed to be highly transferable and fulfill general education requirements at most colleges. While you’ll need to fill out a transfer application, the requirements are relatively the same; you’ll just need to include an additional college transcript and be sure to mention your incredible explorations and learnings from your first year abroad experience! 

Keep in mind college transfer application deadlines; they vary by school, so make sure to do some digging ahead of your return home to submit your application in time! 

There isn’t a significant difference in the college admissions process if you decide to embark on a CIEE gap year or first year abroad adventure – you’ll need to ensure that once you’re ready to head to a college campus back in the U.S., you know your options! 

No matter what CIEE post-high school experience you decide to pursue, you’ll be plenty ready to tackle the college admissions process. Just follow these tips and you’ll be a pro! Happy applying!

EXPLORE CIEE GAP YEAR

OR

BROWSE CIEE FIRST YEAR ABROAD