4 First Year Abroad Programs You’ll Love

First Year Abroad

As you peruse CIEE’s many first year abroad program options, use this guide as a reference for quick and fascinating facts about six of our fabulous first year abroad locations packed into four exciting study abroad programs. 

We’ll help you decide what kind of adventure abroad you want as a freshman! And fair warning: they’re all incredible. 

First Year Abroad in Copenhagen & Berlin 

High school girls twirling on stairs in London

That’s right – two fantastic cities in one first year abroad program. You’ll start off your adventure in Copenhagen, exploring the unique Scandinavian way of life, visiting world-class museums and attractions, and getting a taste of the city’s history. After six weeks, you’ll make your way over to Berlin, a hub for the arts, history, and innovation, where you’ll travel to a variety of sites including museums, landmarks, and even some culinary hotspots. 

Your first year abroad in Copenhagen and Berlin will be an experience like no other. Let’s dive into some fast facts about each of these dynamic cities. 

Copenhagen 

As the capital of Denmark, you’re guaranteed a unique experience in Copenhagen, where you’ll learn more about hygge culture, the city’s eco-friendly habits, and stunning natural landscapes. A first year abroad in Copenhagen means expanding your perspective. 

• Location: Copenhagen is located directly below Sweden, with the North Sea to the west and the Baltic Sea to the east. 
  • Population: Slightly more than one million people call Copenhagen home. 
  • Climate: As a Scandinavian city, Copenhagen experiences four seasons with cold winters averaging around 30 degrees Fahrenheit (yes there will be snow!), and cool summers around 70 degrees. 
  • Language: Danish is Copenhagen’s most prominent language, but English is also very common.
  • Currency: The Danish Kroner
  • Local Attraction: The Christiansborg Palace is one of Copenhagen’s most popular sites, a 13th-century marvel. 
  • Bonus Fact: Historically, Copenhagen was once a fishing village! 

Berlin

Berlin, Germany’s capital, is a fascinating city with an unconventional modern culture, complex history, beautiful architecture, and an innovative business scene. Spending your first year abroad in Berlin is a great way to learn more about our interconnected world. 

• Location: Berlin is near the Polish border; Germany is considered Central Europe.
  • Population: Around 3.5 million people live in Berlin.
  • Climate: Berlin also has four distinct seasons, with winters averaging around 35 degrees Fahrenheit, autumn and spring months around 40-50 degrees, and summers in the low 70s.
  • Language: Most people in Berlin speak German, but English and French are also very popular. In fact, Berlin is quite an international city, so you’ll likely hear a lot of different languages spoken here.
  • Currency: Berlin uses the Euro.
  • Local Attraction: The Reichstag Building – an architectural wonder that has been at the forefront of significant events throughout Germany’s history.
  • Bonus Fact: Berlin is home to the largest open-air gallery: the East Side Gallery.

First Year Abroad in Dublin 

Student posing in garden at museum in France

As the capital of Ireland, your first year abroad in Dublin promises an exciting way to visit some of the world’s most iconic landmarks, get to know Irish culture, pick up on Irish conversation (also known as craic), and learn more about the country’s important history. As you explore the Emerald Isle, you’ll uncover lots about the world around you. 

Let’s take a closer look at some fun facts about Dubin: 

• Location: Dublin is in east Ireland, right on the Dublin Bay of the Irish Sea.
  • Population: About 1.2 million people call Dublin home.
  • Climate: Mild, temperate climate with warm summers and moderate winters; winter temperatures average 39 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit, and summer temperatures range from 55 to 60. It is relatively rainy year-round. 
  • Language: Most of Ireland speaks English and Irish, often called Gaelic. 
  • Currency: Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland, which uses the Euro.
  • Local Attraction: There are a ton of attractions in Ireland, but touring Trinity College in Dublin is amazing. 
  • Bonus Fact: The country’s oldest library is in Dublin – first established in 1707! 

First Year Abroad in Rabat

Your first year abroad in Morocco’s captivating capital city, Rabat, will be an experience of a lifetime. Located in North Africa, you’ll learn more about the region and about Rabat’s fascinating mix of cultures and influences, stunning sites and attractions, beautiful natural landscapes, and more. Your first year abroad in Rabat will be astonishing. Take a look at some fast facts about this incredible city:

• Location: Morocco’s capital is located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the river Bou Regreg. 
  • Population: About 1.9 million people live in Rabat. 
  • Climate: Rabat has a Mediterranean climate, with warm and hot summers, and mild and rainy winters.
  • Language: Moroccan Arabic is the most-spoken language in the city, but you’ll likely hear some Spanish, French, and English, too.
  • Currency: The Moroccan Dirham
  • Local Attraction: The Hassan Tower, built in 1199, is astonishing.
  • Bonus Fact: Rabat is home to several UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

First Year Abroad in Prague 

Known as the City of a Hundred Spires, Prague guarantees a fascinating first year abroad venture through history, an opportunity to meet people from all over the world with a large international student population, and the chance to set your sights on fairytale-like architecture and landscapes. And tons more. Your first year abroad in the Czech Republic’s capital will be a diverse experience. Check out these fun facts about this charming city: 

• Location: The Czech Republic is considered the heart of Europe, with Prague near the middle of the country. 
  • Population: Approximately 1.3 million people live in Prague. 
  • Climate: The city has a temperate oceanic climate with relatively warm summers and cold winters, averaging around 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Snow is rare in Prague. 
  • Language: While the official language is Czech, there are a lot of different languages spoken throughout the city including English, German, and Russian. 
  • Currency: The Czech Crown 
  • Local Attraction: The Prague Castle is an architectural feat, built around 880.
  • Bonus Fact: Charles Square was once the largest town square in all of medieval Europe. 

No matter where you decide to go for first year abroad, you’re in for an incredible experience discovering cities packed with varied cultures, histories, landmarks, and more. And the best part? You’ll get to have all that adventure while starting college – does it get any better? 

START YOUR APPLICATION Today