The Differences Between Gap Year and First Year Abroad

First Year Abroad

Whether you’re asking yourself, “What are alternatives to going to college?” or simply want more details on your post-high school options, like gap year programs and first year abroad programs, read on. This blog is for you. 

What Is a Gap Year? 

The best way to better understand the differences between gap year and first year abroad is by defining the programs themselves. Let’s take a look at gap year first. 

CIEE’s Gap Year programs are an exciting way to experience the world after high school and help you return to the U.S. feeling refreshed, confident, and better prepared to start college. 

While they offer an ample amount of free time to explore incredible international destinations, CIEE Gap Year programs also include structured-language learning, making up about 15 to 20 hours per week. You’ll even have the chance to go up one whole language proficiency level as you truly immerse yourself in the local culture and live with a host family. 

Gap Year Programs

CIEE offers gap year programs in six remarkable locations:

Make sure to explore the programs in each of these cities to better understand what you’ll be experiencing on that specific gap year program.

Benefits of Gap Year Programs

Students enjoying the sunset on a beach

There are lots of benefits to embarking on a gap year adventure; we’ve listed a few of them here: 

• It is a rewarding and empowering experience
  • It can help reduce academic burnout after a busy senior year in high school
  • It can better prepare you for college classes
  • You can gain independence, maturity, and time-management skills 
  • You’ll gain a more global perspective during gap year programs 
  • You’ll increase your intercultural and language learning skills 
  • It will help you gain clarity on what’s important to you and help you decide your next steps in life 
  • You’ll make lifelong connections 

Okay, we’ve covered the major bases of a gap year and the many benefits of taking one – let’s dive into first year abroad programs to truly understand the differences between these post-high school options. 

What Is First Year Abroad? 

Like gap year, CIEE First Year Abroad programs are a unique way to experience the world after high school. The big difference here? You’ll start your college career on a first year abroad program. 

That means you’ll have opportunities to travel while taking college-level courses and earning college credits. You’ll return to the U.S with college experience (and lots of global adventure) under your belt. 

On program, you’ll live with a host family or stay in a local residence hall, depending on the program you choose. 

First Year Abroad Programs 

CIEE offers first year abroad programs in several more locations than gap year:

Check out our programs in each of these cities to gain a better understanding of what you’ll be experiencing during your first year abroad. 

Benefits of First Year Abroad Programs 

Students walking across a bridge in a rainforest

Just like gap year programs, there are many benefits of embarking on a first year abroad adventure. Here’s a quick list of some (you might even notice some of the same benefits as gap year, too): 

• You’ll deepen your global perspective 
  • It will increase your intercultural and language learning skills 
  • You’ll provide a valuable, international outlook to your classroom discussions (both on program and once you’re back in the States!) 
  • You’ll make lifelong connections
  • It will help you find your passions both inside the classroom and out to help you further your college career, like determining what degree you want to pursue, and can even inform your professional career 
  • You’ll develop an increased self-awareness and improve your critical thinking skills 
  • It will help build self-confidence with your international adventures

What’s Included?

Features included in program fees for both CIEE’s Gap Year programs and First Year Abroad programs are pretty similar. Your program fee for either option covers a lot, including:

• Placement with a carefully-screened host family (the only option for gap year) or local residence hall 
  • Online orientation before leaving the U.S. and in-person orientation upon arrival in a new country
  • Supervision and support of local staff 
  • Pre-departure assistance
  • CIEE-led educational trips and excursions
  • International medical and travel insurance
  • 24/7 support and counseling available to students and parents from CIEE headquarters staff 
  • Access to CIEE Alumni network 

Have additional questions? Check out our Gap Year FAQs and First Year Abroad FAQs! Please don't hesitate to contact us to answer any additional questions you may have. 

How Does This All Fit in With College?  

Now that you know a little bit more about our different programs, destinations, and the variety of benefits of both gap year programs and first year abroad programs, let’s get a little more detailed about the key differences between the two. And it mainly centers around college. 

How to Apply to College After a Gap Year?  

Most students interested in gap year programs defer college admission. Check with your college of choice that this is an available option—most institutions accept this and, in fact, favor gap year programs to help incoming students gain a new skillset that will prepare them for success in college.  

Deferred admission means that while you’ll be delaying your college enrollment for a semester or an academic year, you’ll remain an admitted student at the college despite not yet attending classes. So, taking a gap year with deferred admission won’t affect college enrollment. When you return from your travels, you’ll start college as a freshman (but with a whole new global perspective). 

Even if you decide to forgo deferring admission and wait until you’re back in the U.S. to apply to school, you’re in luck after a gap year. College admissions teams will positively consider your recent international travels, improved language learning skills, and increased intercultural competence. You’ll stand out amongst applicants. 

It’s also important to note that CIEE is accredited by the Gap Year Association. This membership community recognizes not only the importance of gap year but also validates that CIEE has demonstrated excellence in gap year education and passed all required standards approved by the U.S. Department of Justice. Simply, CIEE Gap Year programs are legit.   

First Year Abroad Programs and College 

Students posing on blue staircase in Morocco

When you start on your first year abroad, you’ll head straight to your international location. However, while on program, you’ll be enrolled as a student at our academic home and school of record, Dean College, a respected liberal arts college in Massachusetts. As we’ve already covered, you’ll be gaining up to 12-13 college credits per semester during your first year abroad program. 

Unlike gap year programs, when you get home from first year abroad, your pursuit of your college degree will already be underway. To complete your degree, you have some exciting options: 

• Go on to earn your degree at Dean College
  • Apply to a CIEE partner college or university to ease the transfer credit process
  • Use your international experience to impress the admission team at your dream school of choice 

Both gap year and first year abroad are rewarding ways to explore the world and gain a whole new personal skillset while preparing yourself for the next phase in your life: a valuable college education. 

Learn more about CIEE’s Gap Year Abroad and First Year Abroad to better determine which program is the best fit for you. And no matter what you choose, prepare for the experience of a lifetime. 

EXPLORE CIEE’S POST-HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS