2 Best Places to Study Abroad in Japan

Ancient + Modern Japan

Simply put, Japan is incredible. This captivating country is comprised of a dynamic culture, natural beauty, ancient history, modern advancements, and tons more, making it a fantastic study abroad location.  

We offer study abroad programs in two amazing Japanese cities: Kyoto and Tokyo. Read on as we list a few details about each city to help you choose the Japan study abroad program that intrigues you the most!  

Kyoto  

Kyoto takes great pride in being the cultural capital of the country. It’s an intensely beautiful and ancient city known for its thousands of historic monuments, gardens, temples, and shrines (many of which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites).  

Consider some of these key Kyoto facts as you plan for your Japan study abroad trip.  

Population  

Kyoto, home to around 1.5 million people, is a remarkably serene city. Yet, it’s also part of the second largest urban and industrial hub in Japan, the Keihanshin Industrial Zone, which comprises the international cities of Osaka, Kobe, and Kyoto.  

Location  

Kyoto is considered part of the Kansai region and is located west of Tokyo. The city is covered in age-old monuments and boasts stunning natural landscapes including mountain ranges, rivers, and more. Public transportation is also well organized making it easy to get around in Kyoto and well beyond. Many cities, including Tokyo, are just a train ride away. 

Fun fact: One fascinating tradition you’ll discover in Kyoto is the Japanese Tea Ceremony, which is practiced in traditional teahouses all around the city. The practice is rooted in Zen Buddhism and is characterized by its slow and methodical movements. 

kyoto side street cherry blossom

Weather  

The average temperature of Kyoto is about 60 degrees Fahrenheit, but winters can get cold, averaging about 38 degrees, and can even bring snow. The city also has a rainy season, from roughly June to July with an average yearly rainfall of about 62 inches, making summers hot and muggy.  

Cost of Living  

Kyoto is considered average when it comes to its cost of living, falling right around the world median. It’s significantly less expensive than living in the United States.  

Landmarks  

There are almost too many landmarks to name in Kyoto! This fascinating city was the former capital of Japan for thousands of years, so the culturally significant and ancient sites throughout Kyoto are aplenty.  

We consider these landmarks must-sees during a Japan study abroad experience and integral to the city’s past: 

• Nijo Castle: A UNESCO World Heritage Site  
  • Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine: One of the city’s most important religious landmarks  
  • Kyoto Imperial Palace: Former home of the emperor and originally built in 794 
  • Kinkakuji Temple: Known as the “Golden Pavilion,” this temple is a symbol of Kyoto  
  • Arashiyama: A historic site known for its natural beauty, you can walk through remarkable bamboo forests and observe the breathtaking Arashiyama Mountains  

And that just scratches the surface. There is something to see at every turn in Kyoto and the impact of each of these historical landmarks is immeasurable – this city is fascinating! 

nijo castle kyoto student

Featured Program: Ancient + Modern Japan 

With CIEE, you can embark on a variety of study abroad adventures to Kyoto. One of our favorites is our Ancient + Modern Japan program! In this semester-long journey, you’ll dive into Japanese history and religion, while also learning about the city’s modern media and business. This is a truly multi-faceted program.  

In addition to taking interesting courses, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in guided excursions to places like the Kyoto Imperial Palace ground, shop at Nishiki Market, and take advantage of our project, volunteer, and internship opportunities.  

Studying abroad in Kyoto will be nothing less than a dynamic experience; we promise! 

Tokyo  

Another fantastic CIEE Japan study abroad location takes place in the country’s capital: Tokyo.  

As one of the world’s busiest cities, lively Tokyo has much to offer and is known for its cleanliness, safety, unbelievably modern buildings, and nightlife. Note these facts about Tokyo below as you consider which Japan study abroad program makes the most sense for you.  

Population  

The entirety of Tokyo’s metropolitan population is around 37 million people, with the heart of the city home to approximately 13 million people, making it one of the most populated cities in the world. To better illustrate its density, its Shibuya Crossing is believed to be the world’s busiest intersection with thousands of pedestrians crossing the street at peak times. A must-do when in town! 

Location  

Tokyo is located in eastern Japan in the Kanto region. While the city is known for its bustling nature and modern advances, this world-class city also features ancient temples, beautiful surrounding woods, and public gardens.  

tokyo aerial view city

Weather  

Tokyo’s spring and summer months average around 60 degrees Fahrenheit to 75 degrees, whereas winters are colder, with temperatures around 35 degrees. It is relatively rainy year-round, and the city doesn’t usually get snow. But the sun does shine and when it does the majestic Mt. Fuji is clearly within view. 

Cost of Living  

Tokyo is relatively expensive to live in, comparable to living in New York City or some pricier Californian cities.  

Landmarks 

There are any number of things to see and do in Tokyo, both old and new, making it hard to narrow a list down to just a few. But, here are some must-see sites during your Japan study abroad program 

• Senso-ji Temple: An amazing Buddhist temple built in 645 
  • Tokyo Tower: An incredible observation tower  
  • Tokyo National Museum: A beautiful dedication to Japanese history and culture  
  • Tokyo Skytree: A striking skyscraper  
  • Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden: A stunning tranquil garden  

And more! Seriously, what can’t you see in one of the world’s oldest and busiest cities?!  

tokyo tower fall nighttime

Featured Program: Arts + Sciences  

If you’re looking for a study abroad experience that covers a wide range of subject matter in a dynamic and bustling city, our Arts + Sciences program in Tokyo is your best bet. You’ll have the chance to study just about anything from art, history, and anthropology to international business, religion, economics, and more.  

Consider the following program details for an incredible Japan study abroad experience:  

• Program Length: 18 weeks 
  • Credit: 15-16 semester hours / 22.5-24 quarter hours 
  • Eligibility: 2.75 Overall GPA 
  • Cost: $26,950 

An exciting adventure awaits you in Tokyo!  

Japan is Calling 

Are you ready for the adventure of a lifetime in Japan? We bet! Take the next step today.