All emergency medical assistance must be coordinated through CIEE. In the event of an emergency, CIEE may be contacted 24 hours a day at 1-888-268-6245 (FREE).
Emergency Medical Evacuation-$75,000 maximum
If you suffer an accidental injury or sickness during your program that necessitates Emergency Evacuation, a benefit of up to the maximum amount listed in the Schedule of Coverage section will be provided. Emergency Evacuation means either or both of the following: CIEE will arrange for medical transportation to the nearest appropriate medical facility when your attending physician and CIEE agree that it is medically necessary. If, after being treated at the local hospital, your attending physician and CIEE agree that it is medically necessary to return you home to obtain further medical treatment or to recover, CIEE will facilitate your evacuation home.
Return of Mortal Remains-$30,000 maximum
In the unlikely event of death, CIEE will arrange to have your remains brought back home as quickly as possible. Reasonable Covered Expenses will be paid up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Coverage. Covered expenses, to have your remains brought back home include, but are not limited to, expenses for embalming, cremation, coffin for repatriation and transportation (but not including any costs of burial or other disposition).
Emergency Reunion-$15,000 maximum
If you are hospitalized for 7 days or longer, CIEE can assist with arrangements to bring a relative or a friend to stay on near you. All expenses for such arrangements will be covered under the terms of this policy and will include reasonable and necessary travel costs, meals (maximum of $50 per day), transportation, and accommodation expenses incurred in relation to the Emergency Reunion.
Urgent Travel Expense-$5,000 maximum
In the event of the unexpected death of the Insured’s father, mother, brother, sister or grandparent, the Company will reimburse the Insured Person up to $5,000 for the round-trip costs of air and/or ground transportation to the locale where attendance for the funeral or other remembrance of the deceased will take place.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance covers the loss of life or limb that occurs during the period of insurance.
Accidental Death - $10,000 maximum
In the event of the unexpected death as a result of an Accident that occurred during the Period of Insurance, the Company will pay you or your estate an Accidental death benefit in the amount of $10,000; provided, however, that such benefit will not be available or payable if the death resulted from a Pre-existing Condition.
If you are in an accident that results in any of the following losses during the Period of Insurance, the Company will pay you the applicable loss benefit as specified below.
|Sight of one eye||$42,500|
|One hand or one foot||$42,500|
|One hand and the loss of sight of one eye||$85,000|
|One foot and the loss of sight of one eye||$85,000|
|One hand and one foot||$85,000|
|Both hands or both feet||$85,000|
|Sight of both eyes||$85,000|
|Thumb or index finger||$8,500|
The loss of a hand or foot means the complete severance at or above the wrist or ankle joint. The loss of sight means the entire and irrecoverable loss of sight. This is only a summary of the Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit and is subject to the specific terms and conditions of the plan concerning eligible benefits, limitations, eligibility and exclusions.
The following is a summary of available benefits and coverages for the Baggage/Personal effects insurance. An official report (police report) must be filed within 24 hours of discovery of the theft or loss of property. If the loss is in connection with an airline flight, a property irregularity report (PIR) must be obtained from the airline. Copies of the reports and supporting documentation (receipts, proof of purchase, or appraisals, etc.) must be submitted along with a completed claim form within 15 days of the loss or theft. You will be reimbursed up to the maximum amount listed below for any lost or stolen baggage, valuables or personal papers. You will be paid either: the actual cash value at the time of loss (including depreciation) as determined by the Company; or the cost to repair or replace the item, whichever is less.
|Loss or theft of Baggage||Up to $1,500 per Period of Insurance|
|Loss or theft of Valuables||Up to $350 per Period of Insurance|
|Loss or theft of Personal Papers||Up to $500 per Period of Insurance|
Legal Assistance and Personal Liability
This insurance policy covers your legal expenses (reasonable attorney’s fees) under some circumstances during the Period of Insurance. If you receive a summons, threat of lawsuit, actual lawsuit or other notice of a third party claim against you in regards to personal injury or property damage liability you might be eligible for this benefit up to the maximum amount listed below. Legal assistance and personal liability benefits do not provide coverage for criminal proceedings. CIEE must be notified within 5 days of any event that may result in a personal liability or legal assistance claim.
|Attorney Fees||Up to $20,500
Sublimit: up to $500 for initial consultation expenses in the event of a legal summons or threat of lawsuit in regard to personal injury or property damage liability
|Advance of Bail||Up to $8,500|
|Injury to a Third Person||Up to $100,000 in the event of a court ordered judgment for a covered liability claim|
|Damage to Third Person Property||Up to $100,000 in the event of a court ordered judgment for a covered liability claim|
|Damage to related Third Person’s Property||Up to $2,500 subject to $100 deductible|
Important Baggage and Liability Exclusions
Listed below are important Baggage and Liability exclusions. If you have any questions please call CIEE at 1-888-268-6245.
Notwithstanding anything contained in the Master Policy to the contrary, the Company will not pay claims for, and the Insured Person shall have no benefits or coverages for any loss or theft of, or damage to, any Baggage, Valuables, or Personal Papers, under any of the following circumstances, occurrences and/or conditions:
- Any loss, theft or damage of dental, optical, or prosthetic items of personal property, including dentures, eyeglasses or other optical lenses, sunglasses, or any prosthetic limbs
- Any loss, damage, or claim related to the face value or cash-surrender value of any cash, travelers checks, money orders, certified checks, securities, commercial or administrative documents, bearer bonds, airline tickets, or any other negotiable instruments or Personal Papers
- Any loss, claim or damage of any kind suffered or incurred by the Insured person or any Third Person or related Third Person arising out of, in connection with, or resulting from any fraudulent, unlawful, criminal or unauthorized use or disposition of any lost or stolen travelers checks, cash, credit cards, or other negotiable instruments or methods of payment
- Any damage to or destruction of Baggage, Valuables, or Personal Papers or other losses suffered by an Insured Person due to or as a result of, directly or indirectly: normal wear and tear, old age, handling or mishandling by Third Persons or Related Third Persons, construction, design or manufacturing defects, deterioration or damage caused by moths or vermin, or by cleaning, repair or restoration processes, damage resulting from confiscation, seizure or destruction by order of any administrative or governmental authority, loss while in the custody of an airline or other common carrier unless a PIR has been obtained, damage caused by the leakage of any powder, liquid or other substance carried within the Insured Person’s Baggage, or any damage or loss to Baggage, Valuables or Personal Papers caused by fire, or as a result of any accident, impact or other occurrence involving a vehicle in which the Insured Person is traveling at the time of the damage or loss
- Any loss or theft of Valuables or Personal Papers unless physically carried on or by the Insured Person at the time of loss or theft, or kept within a locked and secured location in a hotel or place of residence at the time of loss or theft
- Any baggage, Valuables or Personal papers left unattended or in the possession, custody or control of any Third Person or Related Third Person at any time
- Any loss, theft or damage of Baggage or Personal Papers kept or left in a motor vehicle except for Baggage or Personal Papers secured in a locked trunk located or parked on or immediately adjacent to property or premises where you are physically located at the time of loss or theft
- Any, loss, theft or damage of any Baggage or Personal Papers from a motor vehicle occurring between the hours of 10pm and 7am; and any loss or theft of any Valuables from a motor vehicle at any time
- Any loss, theft or damage to sports or sporting equipment, components, supplies or other related equipment or fittings of any kind
- Any loss, theft or damage to mobile telephones or other personal communication devices, MP3 players, IPods, IPads, portable DVD players, or similar tablet devices, portable GPS devices or similar personal electronic devices
The Insured Person shall have no benefits or coverages for, and the Company shall have no liability or obligation of any kind to pay or reimburse the Insured Person or any Third Person or related Third Person for, any changes, fees (including attorney’s fees), costs, expenses, damages, losses, judgments, claims or other liabilities incurred or sustained by or assessed against an Insured Person or any Third Person or related Third person, if directly or indirectly relating to, arising from or in connection with any of the following acts, omissions, events, conditions, charges, consequences, occurrences or circumstances, all of which are expressly excluded from coverage under this insurance and all of which the Company will provide no benefits or coverages for and shall have no liability or obligation for same, and the Company will not pay or reimburse the Insured Person or any Third person or Related Third Person for any claims of any kind arising directly or indirectly from, happening through or as a consequence of:
- Any damages, losses or claims caused in whole or in part by the Insured Person during any hunt or as a result of hunting
- Any criminal, fraudulent, deceptive, willful, reckless, malicious or other unlawful acts or omissions committed by the Insured Person, or any acts or omissions committed by the Insured Person in connection with the violation or breach of any laws, statutes, ordinances, legal orders, rules or regulations to which the Insured Person is subject or by which the Insured Person is bound
- Any loss, damage or claim arising or resulting from the use of any firearms, fireworks, explosives, welding equipment, propane tanks, or other flammables, deadly weapons or hazardous implements
- Any loss, damage or claim related to the pursuit of a trade, business, profession or employment activity
- Ownership, possession, control or occupation of any land or building
- Any loss, damage or claim related to ownership, possession, control or use of any automobile, motorcycle, ATV, off road vehicle, watercraft, aircraft, parachute, parasail, glider or any other motorized, gravity-induced, or self-propelled vehicle or craft of any kind
- Resulting from any fire, flood, wind, hail, water leak, gas leak, explosion or other catastrophe or loss occurring in or about the residence or premises of any Related Third Person, or in or about the residence or any other premises of which the Insured Person is the owner, lessee, invitee, licensee, occupant or resident, or in or about any residence or premises which are contiguous or adjacent to any of the foregoing residences or premises
- The consequences of any breach, violation or failure to perform any contractual undertakings or obligations of the Insured Person, whether verbal or in writing
- Criminal or disciplinary proceedings, charges, arrests, indictments, or arraignments of any kind
- Shoplifting, vandalism, theft, conversion, misappropriation, public drunkenness, fighting or brawling, arson, or any malicious or intentional activity resulting in personal injury or destruction of property
- Gross negligence, fraud, bad faith, assault and battery, domestic disputes, and all other intentional torts or actions based or sounding in tort without regard to how named or presented
- Any collusion, conspiracy, deceit or other fraudulent scheme or artifice to defraud or other fraudulent means or methods
- Fines, penalties, assessments or claims by any governmental authorities or regulatory bodies, including traffic fines or traffic violations or parking tickets, and the costs, fees or expenses incurred by the Insured Person as a witness, custodian, or in any other non-party status in connection with responding to any order to appear in court, subpoena, subpoena duces tecum, notice of deposition, or any other non-party legal or administrative proceeding or activity
- All non-compensatory damages, including without limitation, damages imposed as a punishment, punitive or exemplary damages, consequential damages, lost profits, criminal damages, excessive damages, expectancy damages, incidental damages, liquidated damages, presumptive damages, prospective damages, special damages, speculative damages, statutory damages, double treble or other multiples of damages, and/or unliquidated damages, and all claims and damages for pain and suffering, loss of consortium, physical discomfort, mental or emotional distress, trauma, disfigurement, dismemberment, loss of use, or scarring
- Any loss, damage or claim related to contractual or employer’s liability or workman’s compensation claims
- Any loss, damage or claim related to animals belonging to you or any related third person, or in care, custody or control of you or any related third person
- Intentionally committed acts caused or brought about by the Insured Person
- Any loss, damage or claim occurring while the insured person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or due to the Insured Person’s use of drugs, prescription medicines, narcotics or tranquilizers not medically prescribed by a licensed physician
- Caused by suicide or attempted suicide of the Insured Person
- Participation of the Insured Person in gambling, gaming, or betting of any kind
- Participation of the Insured Person in any fights, brawls, criminal activity or other unlawful activity
- Any loss, damage or claim as a result of the practice or participation of sports, recreational endeavors, or athletic activities either as a professional, amateur or novice, unless performed for solely recreational purposes or during high school activities
- Occurring when the Insured Person is a passenger in an aircraft of any kind other than a commercial aircraft
- Any loss, damage or claim as a result of hazardous or “extreme” sports of any kind, including but not limited to American football, boxing, bungee jumping, mountaineering, martial arts, skiing beyond one’s abilities, outside of marked boundaries, in violation of rules or regulations, or on unmarked slopes, sky diving, scuba diving, hang gliding, ski jumping, bobsledding, offshore boating, caving spelunking, polo, fighting sports, parachuting, hunting, piloting an aircraft, wind-surfing, professional sporting activities of any kind, racing activity of any kind, and any attempt to make or set sporting records
- War, military action or terrorism
- Thermal, mechanic, radioactive and other effects due to any modifications of the atomic structure of matter or the artificial acceleration of atomic particles or due to radiation from radio-isotopes, or the use of nuclear or chemical materials
- Mental or nervous disorders of the Insured Person
- Judgments or damage awards that have not been ordered, declared or entered within twelve (12) months from the date of the act, omission, occurrence or event causing personal injury or property damage, or within twelve (12) months from the date of termination of group coverage under this Master Policy, the Certificate of Insurance and/or the Agreement to Provide Insurance, whichever is earlier
- Any lawsuit, claim for benefits, enforcement action, complaint, or other civil or administrative proceeding of any kind brought by or on behalf of the Insured Person or any Third Person or Related Third Person against the Company, the Plan Administrator, and/or Sponsoring Organization, including without limitation any lawsuit or proceedings alleging breach of contract, bad faith, or any tortuous conduct of any kind, seeking equitable or declaratory relief, or otherwise seeking the recovery, enforcement or effectuation of any benefits or coverages under this insurance.
- Any loss, personal injury, property damage or other claim arising or resulting from any act, omission, failure to act, event or other occurrence committed or occurring at any time prior to or subsequent to the Period of Insurance.
- Any personal injury, medical expense, damage or other loss suffered by a Related Third Person, except for damage to a related Third Person’s personal property which shall be limited up to a maximum of $2,500 and subject to a $100 deductible.
The information contained on this page and on the links below are for participants who are covered under CIEE Group/Policy No.: CIEE-697401. Your Group/Policy No. can be found on your Confirmation of Insurance form. If you need any assistance in confirming your Group/Policy No. or have questions regarding your insurance please contact us.