Weihnachtsmärkte (Christmas Markets)

Samantha J.

Germany loves Christmas! Because there’s no Thanksgiving here, Christmas decorations started going up nearly half-way through November. One of the biggest ways Germany celebrates Christmas is with Weihnachtsmärkte (Christmas markets). The first Christmas market I went to this year was on the last day of November; it was at a castle in Höxter. There was a lot of food, crafts for sale, and even some reindeer! All of the Christmas lights and music really got everyone into the holiday spirit.

The city of Höxter also has a small Christmas market in the town center. I bought a Nutella crepe and walked through the market looking at all the little crafts for sale. It was small, but none the less, very Christmas-y!

A few days ago, I went to visit Mariel and we went to Hannover for the day with two friends from her class at school. After we ate lunch, we walked through the Hannover Weihnachtsmärkte. It was a lot bigger than the ones I had been to in Höxter. There was a huge Weihnachtspyramide (Christmas pyramid) in the middle of the market, which was spectacular. In the base of the pyramid was a little drink area where you could buy Glühwein (a hot mulled wine with spices), Kinder Punch (the alcohol-free version of Glühwein), hot chocolate, and coffee. The Christmas lights were so pretty and the entire atmosphere at the Christmas market was merry and bright.

I wish Weihnachtsmärkte were as popular in the US as they are here because they’re such a fun way to celebrate the holiday season. Whether it’s a big or small Christmas market, it’s guaranteed to make you feel warm and cheerful.