Trip to Brussels

Samantha J.

I signed up for another trip with Experiment, this time to Brussels in Belgium! I was really excited because this was my first time leaving Germany. I took the train to Brussels, which was only about 5-6 hours.

When I got there, I was really impressed because I could actually read a lot of the signs I saw. I guess my French hasn’t been completely lost this year, thank god. Almost all the signs were in either French, English, or Flemish. Flemish honestly looks like a weird version of German; sometimes I could understand a few words because they were similar to German.

Our first full day in Brussels was spent sightseeing and eating our way through the city. Every street corner smelled like French fries, chocolate, or waffles; it was hard to resist buying something from every food stand I saw. On our tour, we saw many beautiful cathedrals, gardens, the Grand-Place of Brussels, the Royal Palace of Brussels, and the EU.

We also saw in many stores different Tintin related posters, cutouts, books, and movies. This made me extremely happy because I remember reading and watching Tintin all the time when I was younger. If you don’t know who Tintin is, he’s a comic series/cartoon character from The Adventures of Tintin. It was originally a French series, created by a Belgian man (hence the fact that there’s Tintin stuff all throughout Brussels).

On our last day in Brussels, we went to the Atomium and the Mini-Europe park. The Atomium is a really cool and interesting building; I've definitely never seen anything like it before. The Mini-Europe park has about 80 different cities and around 350 different buildings; it was like getting a tour of all of Europe’s most popular sights. My friends and I even took a photo in front of the miniature Eiffel Tower that looked so realistic, when I sent it to my family they really believed that we were there. 

Brussels is honestly such a cute and interesting city. I would love to live there when I’m older, I’d just be worried about eating too much amazing food :)