From Toddlers to Teenagers

Kasie Grover

I always knew I was meant to be a three-child mom. After my second daughter was born, I knew our family was meant for more, but I wasn’t sure how. Families come in all shapes and sizes, and I was hoping for a sign to point me in the direction that would allow my family to grow in all the ways I felt in my heart. I never imagined my sign would come in the form of a Facebook post at 8:23pm on a Thursday night. The post included a profile of a girl from Spain looking for a host family in America to help make her dream of coming to America a reality. Her profile gave me goosebumps and I instantly knew she was meant to be my host daughter. I spoke with a coordinator the next day and within one week was an approved host family with CIEE High School USA. The entire process was so seamless and further affirmed I was on the right path. Every snapchat, email, and zoom meeting brought us closer and closer as we anxiously awaited her arrival ahead of the school year. We were excited all the while hoping her transition to our family and way of life would be everything she was hoping for. We picked her up from the airport and instantly enveloped her into our busy lifestyle. While we are still transitioning to life as host parents of a teenager, we can’t imagine our home without her and all the happiness she brings.