Time to Say Goodbye

Mohamed-Amin Z.

Hi folks!
Welcome to the last post from me while being in the United States of America. I can not believe it. My year abroad has come to an end, and it definitely happens to fast.

I have mixed feelings about my departure because my life is here, and I feel home. All my friends, my school and my family is here - just everything. I am thinking a lot about coming back here to visit, and also to live here after college. I do miss my family but I do not miss Germany. I have experienced so much the past eight months, and I hope that the last two will be at least as good as the last eight. Right now I am able to be myself, and just how I want to be. I am scared of going back and losing that. I was bullied in middle school which has made my school life hard, and I am so lucky to be surrounded by people who care about me and, love me.

I have changed a lot mentally, emotionally and physically. Before I came here I was a short chubby boy who didn’t do any sports. Now I am a varsity athlete who is tall and skinny. Also, I have gained confidence which helps me to be independent. My life has changed completely, and I think it did to the positive. I am very happy with everything right now.

Some of my best memories are team bondings, sports events, spending time with my host family and exchange student activities. I love all three teams (cross country, wrestling, and track) because I feel like I belong. I love cheering for my teammates, and it really pushes me when they cheer for me. I will have my track banquet soon, and I am excited but sad at the same time. Whenever I spend time with my host family I feel comfortable. I feel like I am a part of this family no matter what. I have met so many exchange students from all over the world, and I have found some really strong friendships which I hope to keep in touch with.

I will go on vacation to Morocco as soon as I get back to Germany. After the summer break, I will go to a new school. I have things to look forward to, and I just want to express with this blog post how insanely grateful and thankful I am for this year.

Thanks for reading my blog! I hope it was informative and interesting. The next post will be the last one, and after I have arrived and settled in Germany.

-Amin