A Preview of Real Life

Lucas C.

“Wait, I’m… accepted?” Around me, my family goes wild. From the cheering and slaps on my shoulder, I could barely make out what Katie, the CIEE Grant Programs manager, was trying to say. Finally, taking my phone and putting it on speaker, my family thanked Katie for calling with the long awaited, and fretted, acceptance decision. My heart was beating so fast I thought it might jump out of my chest and run laps around me. The news hit hard: I was actually going to Germany.

Throughout the application process, the possibility of going to Germany for a whole year never fully dawned on me. Until Katies call, actually going to Germany seemed like a pipe dream - like a little kid declaring he’ll be an astronaut someday. Because, in reality, who studies abroad in high school? Who gets the opportunity to be a youth ambassador and take on more responsibility than ever before? I certainly haven't met anyone who has. So naturally, I was ecstatic.

I began watching German YouTube videos and translating German songs - researching Germany and talking with my fellow CBYXers. After calming down a little, and now that I am closer than ever to embarking on my German adventure, I am realizing how much I cherish my family and how hard it is going to be to leave them. Fortunately, I won’t be gone for long. I’ll be spending my junior year in Germany, so I’ll still have one last year in high school, living as I know it, before I truly begin adulthood. Albeit difficult leaving those I love, for the next year, I'll get to live in a foreign country, manage my own budget, and be responsible for forging new relationships (family and friends alike.) Through CBYX, I’ll get to preview a little of what real life looks like - look, I’ve gotten all excited again; I can’t wait!