Preparing for Departure

Sabrina B.

Hallo Leute und willkommen zu meinem ersten Blogbeitrag!

A little bit about me: My name is Sabrina, I’m 15 and from Washington DC. I will be spending my 10th grade year in Germany and couldn’t be more excited! I love to travel, try new foods, do photography and meet new people. In addition to wanting to learn more about the world and how I fit in it, I am participating in CBYX because I want to learn how to view mistakes not as flaws but learning opportunities. A year abroad, with a new language, new people and new culture will provide me with countless opportunities to lean into uncomfortable situations and become more confident in navigating them. I will be living in Lower Saxony, in a town called Lehrte, with my incredible host parents, host brothers, and (a very cute and cuddly) host dog named Abby. We have been communicating via WhatsApp since I received my placement, exchanging family news and photos every few days. During July I attended a sleep-away summer camp and I wasn’t able to communicate electronically with my host family for that time, so I wrote them a letter instead. I feel so lucky to have already begun building a bond with my host family and am so grateful to spend this year with them!

Preparations: While I believe I will never be fully prepared for my exchange year, I have been doing a few things to get myself ready for 10 months away. First, I have been learning German via workbooks, Deutsche Welle, and through an online class at the Goethe Institut. These have been great resources for vocabulary and learning how to conjugate verbs effectively. Secondly, I have been taking inventory of the clothes I want to bring and asking myself things like “is it worth it to bring extra socks” (probably) and “will I really need three different colored Jean jackets?” (definitely not). My main tip for the packing process is to bring many articles of clothing that can work interchangeably with different outfits. For example a white t-shirt can pair with jeans and sneakers for a more casual look or with a skirt and jacket for a dressier occasion. This provides the option to carry less while still having variety in the outfits you wear. Lastly, I have been spending time in my favorite places in DC, eating at my favorite restaurants and making sure I take the time to see my friends and family. I will miss DC but I am ready to discover my new favorite places and people in Germany!

Stay tuned for more adventures in Deutschland!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Sabrina