My first Thanksgiving ever!

Karelia E.

I was super excited for Thanksgiving because I was not only going to try many new dishes, but I was going to bake a Peruvian pie after the recipe from my mom, for my host family.

It was a Thursday, but everybody got the day off, schools, and many jobs.  My host family and I spent most of the day baking and cooking, my host mom started with some things even one day before Thanksgiving. We spent hours and hours together all in the kitchen making stuff. In the Background some music and of course the World cup 2022. My host brother is a huge soccer/ football fan. Their Grandmother was also there helping and making some dishes.

Then it was my turn to make the pie. I am going, to be honest, I was pretty scared; it was going to be the first time that I am going to make that pie all on my own. My host sister and brother helped me a lot. My host mom could even find some German cookies that I used for that recipe in Germany. I tried my best in it turned out pretty well. Only one little thing failed which made the pie a bit sour, but I was really proud of myself. Now I only needed to wait till everybody tried it, that was still some hours away.

When the last 10 minutes of cooking were announced everybody was happy and the table looked amazing. For this special day, we were going to eat from plates my host parents got for their wedding. They were white and had beautiful roses and some gold details around them. We also had some fancy glasses and napkins as well as forks and knives. All the food was on the kitchen counter ready to be served.

The food was so good, and I was super full after my third plate, like everybody. That is why before we ate my pie, we played some board games. It was a lot of fun, but I was really excited for them to try the pie. Some games after, my big moment came, the one I was looking forward to this whole time.

I served everybody a plate and watched them nervously try my pie. Three out of five ended up liking it a lot. I was happy and thankful.

It was a great day. A day when I noticed how thankful I am for this opportunity to be here. I was thankful for my host family and all my new friends. I was also thankful for my family at home whom I love and miss a lot as well as my friends back in Germany. Thankful for all these new memories.

The day was a great success and now we have food for the next three days.

If you want to see blogs almost every day about my and my friend’s exchange year, go follow our Instagram: far_from_home_22.23