Meeting the Mayor, Marburg, and More

Samantha J.

Now that we’ve been in Bad Laasphe for about three weeks, we all have our own routines at this point. All of us have grown so close in these past few weeks, it’s crazy!! Schloss Wittgenstein feels like home to me and my friends now. Even the smallest things, like a double rainbow over the castle, take my breath away. On Wednesdays, there's a small market in town, so my German class and I went to it and practiced our German with the vendors and people walking around.

Last Wednesday all of us met with the Mayor of Bad Laasphe, which was really interesting! He talked with us about the town’s history, what it has to offer, and where it seems to be heading in the future. We also shared with him some of our best times in Bad Laasphe this far and what we hope to achieve in the year to come. There was a newspaper reporter there listening and this weekend we saw our picture and an article about us in the local paper!

This weekend we all took the train to Marburg, a university city about an hour away from Bad Laasphe. Not only is Marburg known for its universities, but it’s also known for its connection to the Brothers Grimm and many of their fairytales. We took a guided tour of the city where we learned about its history and some of the well-known fairytales inspired by the area. Scattered throughout the city are statues that represent some Brothers Grimm stories.

After the guided tour, we were given free time to explore Marburg. My friends and I popped in and out of a lot of different little stores and did some shopping. At the end of the day, we took the train back to Bad Laasphe.