März

Tiernan G.

Happy March! As it’s already the middle of the month, I officially have three months until I’ll be back in America. I didn’t think it would be possible for time to go so quickly and so slowly at the same time. As I was warned, some days are harder than others. Some days, I can’t even think about leaving Germany, because I’m not ready to go. Other days, I’m homesick and want nothing more than to sleep in my own bed in my own room at home. It’s been important for me to learn that that’s normal, and I just need to live in the moment right where I am, because I’ll miss it when it’s gone!

My host family recently got tickets for us to go to a soccer game in Wolfsburg. I’m not really a huge sports fan, but I was still excited to go, as I had heard so much about Germans and soccer (a stereotype, I know, but a worthy one!). The game was Wolfsburg versus Düsseldorf, and when we arrived, I noticed that a lot of the Düsseldorf fans had to stand in a section of the stadium that was surrounded by thick plastic walls, almost like a cage. I had no idea why- until the game began. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more enthusiastic fans in my life. They had massive flags, were covered in red and white clothes (Düsseldorf colors), and had an endless number of creative chants. But then, once Wolfsburg scored, a couple of the Düsseldorf fans decided to kick the plastic wall- until they made it crack. That didn’t stop them from kicking it the next time Wolfsburg scored, though. Much to their dismay, Wolfsburg ended up winning. Even though I don’t know much about football, the energy of the other Wolfsburg fans was enough to get everyone excited, and it was definitely an experience to remember!

After the game, we drove about 30 minutes to Hannover, the capital of Lower Saxony, where we got dinner and spent the night in a hotel. My host siblings and I hung out in our hotel room, watched a movie, and just had fun with each other. It was a good reminder that I can make great memories at both big events and mundane moments.

I’m so grateful to my host family for not only providing me with everything I need here, but for taking me to experience things I never would have done on my own. Just because my time is almost over doesn’t mean it’s gone- there’s still lots more out there to discover, and I can’t wait to see what the next months have in store for me.

Tiernan