The Lion King in Hamburg

Samantha J.

One of my Christmas presents from my host parents and my real parents was tickets to see the Lion King in Hamburg. My host family and I were all supposed to go together on December 27; unfortunately, my host sister that’s my age and my host mom both got sick. So my younger host sister, my host dad, and I drove to Hamburg on the 27th. It was about a two-and-a-half-hour drive, but it was really pretty.

When we finally arrived in Hamburg, we walked to the theatre where the musical was at. While we waited for the doors to open, we were able to look out over the Elbe River and watch all the different boats and ships.

The musical was so amazing. Even though it was all in German, I understand pretty much everything – partially because my German has improved a lot and partially because I knew the story, so I could fill in the gaps. The costumes were spectacular. The singing was beautiful. Everything was perfect. We all enjoyed it so much; we were just sad that my host mom and host sister couldn’t be there.

It was a wonderful experience and a perfect Christmas present!