Life at Language Camp

Grace W.

Grace W.

It’s been nineteen days since we stepped off the bus that took us from the Frankfurt Airport to Kloster Hedersleben, and by now we’ve fallen into a routine. Each day, I wake up around 7 a.m., and breakfast is at 8:00. For breakfast, we have Brötchen (bread rolls), jam, Nutella, cold cuts, and fruit. We have an hour for each meal, and our first German class starts at 9:00 a.m. We have German class for three hours each morning, and then lunch is at noon. Lunch is the hot meal here, so we usually have potatoes, meat, or vegetables. There’s also bread with every meal! 

After lunch, we have homework hour. Our teacher gives us an assignment to complete in class during that time, but we usually finish it early. After homework hour, from 2:00-3:00 p.m., we have free time. I like to practice my violin during free time, and they also put out little pieces of cake or cookies. After free time, it’s back to German class for another three hours, but every other day we have culture classes instead of an afternoon German class. There, we talk about things to expect from our host families, communities, and schools. Supper is afterwards at 6:00 p.m. We have cold cuts every night, but sometimes we can also eat some leftovers from lunch. We watch the news at 7:00 p.m. (which only takes about half an hour), and then it’s free time until curfew at 10:00. 

Two weeks ago, we went to Leipzig for a day. We went to a German history museum, where we learned more about life in East Germany under the USSR, which was really interesting! Last week, we went to Quedlinburg, which is a super cute small town about thirty minutes away from Hedersleben. The day trips are always fun, and I really enjoy exploring other cities in Germany! 

It’s crazy to think that we leave for our host families in nine days. These past few weeks have been filled with new experiences, new friends, and new memories. I’m so grateful to everyone at the Kloster and in Hedersleben for working so hard to make this a positive experience for each one of us. Even though it’s hard to leave our little American bubble, I can’t wait to meet my host family and move on to the next adventure! 

Grace