Joining school clubs / activities!

Pawarathe B.

School is tough, especiall when you're in one an ocean away from your family. Your host family is there to help you, but sometimes you feel "free" and want to spend more time doing more things on your precious time as an exchange student; Well, your high school is most likely going to be offering some sort of clubs / activities you can participate in!

From the earlier post (You totally should check it out), I had mentioned about some community clubs. Now we'll be talking about school- offered clubs!

Your high school will most definitely have a sports team; if you think you'd enjoy playing it, or you're just up and want to step off comfort zone to try new things, signing up for it is no big deal! You can go straight to the school office, ask for a sign up sheet, get your physical check in and you're good to go! And if you don't feel like playing the sport (Or just aren't allowed to in some state) but you want to stick around to learn more about it, you can also try signing up to be the "manager" in which you go around helping the sports team carry equipments, jerseys, etc. One more fun thing to do is being the "filmer", you get to go with the team, while not having to participate in most practices (Managers often have to). You can contact to head coach and ask to join them in either of the two!

If you're not a sports person, but like playing instruments ? Well,  you can join the band!

With Band, you go around and ya know, play in the band at football games; After the football season you will also participate in band competitions! Band requires you to be very responsible for practices, routines, etc; but it sure is worth spending time there and make new friends! 

Or what about acting? If you acting interests you, well you can join the drama club!, US high school will most likely have a drama club; you audition in to compete for a role in plays. You must have a great acting skills (duh), and a great voice! 

and lastly, if you just like to study and have amazing grades, and be around the "elites" of the school, well you can try and apply for the NHS (National Honors Society). The NHS will require you to be at a certain grade point (Usually all A's , or 4.00++ GPA), combined with great behavoir; if you match the criteria described, go ahead and apply for it! It is a very presigious club, and will benefit you greatly for joining!

These are some of the many clubs your high school will offer, and there will be many more! Just look around, contact the school office about it, or even ask your friend!