Day Trip to Paderborn and the Huxori Festival

Samantha J.

This weekend was kind of busy. My host sister, her friend, and I took the train to Paderborn together on Saturday. Paderborn is a bigger city (almost 150,000 people live there) about 40 minutes away from Höxter by train. When we got to Paderborn, we left the train station and started walking to the city center. One of the first things we saw was the Paderborn Cathedral, which is absolutely stunning. I had to stop to take a few pictures of it because I thought it was so pretty. We also did some shopping and then we went out for lunch. It was nice to be in a bigger city again; I love the hustle and bustle of all the people.

After we took the train back to Höxter, my host sister and I got ready to go to a big festival happening in town. This weekend is when the annual Huxori festival takes place, which everyone goes to. There was a lot of food stands and vendors selling little trinkets. There were even some rides for kids and there was live music. Josie and I got to the festival at about 8:30 with another one of her friends. We walked around, ate, and looked at all the things the vendors were selling. At around 11, my host dad came and picked us up. The rest of the night, we watched Twilight in German and ate a bunch of snacks. It was a really fun night and the festival was quite impressive.

Because we did so much on Saturday, Sunday was a pretty chill day. I slept in and then walked back to the festival with my host sister. Everything looked so different during the day when all the lights were off. I thought it was really cool that so many people came to the festival because we were able to see a bunch of people from school and talk with them.