Christmas in the US

Kristina T.

Merry Christmas everyone! I can’t believe it’s already December. Getting to experience the holidays in America is extremely cool. It totally feels like I’m in a movie. All the houses are decorated with hundreds of Christmas lights, it’s really chilly outside and everyone is in a Christmas mood.

Christmas pretty much started right after Thanksgiving. All the stores pulled out their Christmas goods and shopping for the perfect Christmas gifts started. I was however extremely busy with school and all my activities this month so I left my Christmas shopping for the last minute. Luckily I managed to get gifts for everyone and I can’t wait until my host family and friends open them on Christmas morning.

I’m going to be celebrating Christmas at home with my host family. We are going to have some friends and family over for dinner. I decided that I should prepare a traditional Christmas dish from my home country too, so I’m going to be making ‘kapustnica.’ It’s a sauerkraut soup that we make every Christmas Eve in Slovakia. My host family is really excited to try it and I’m excited too, since it’s one of my favorite Christmas foods.

For New Year’s Eve, my host family is taking me to Arizona. I can’t wait for that! We’re going to hike around the Grand Canyon and tour Tucson. As much as I love the winter, I’m really going to enjoy the warm Arizonian weather. It hardly ever snows here, in Portland, so I’m excited to “run away” from the rainy and cold Oregon :D

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a great new year. Enjoy your winter break and see you in 2020!