American High Schools vs. German High Schools

Mohamed-Amin Z.

Hi folks!

I am going to talk about the differences between high schools in the U.S., and in Germany. First of all, I want to say that there is not a better or worse system. They are both different and have their positive and negative sides.

I really like about American schools that they have a strong school spirit. Almost everyone participates on our purple and gold Fridays (school colors: purple and gold) which help to strengthen our school spirit. I love to go to assemblies because everyone freaks out, and can have fun there. We have a mascot (a pirate) which is liked by everyone. I like all those aspects of American high schools, but we don’t have them in Germany. We don’t have school colors, mascots or assemblies which makes me sad. Since I am here I enjoy those things, and they make me feel happy. I wish we could have school spirit in Germany too because I think that it is very important. It helps that everyone feels comfortable, accepted and happy.

I like about German schools that we don’t get to choose our classes which might sound like a disadvantage. We have math, physics, art, German, English, etc. classes, and we do in those classes all topics around the year. I like it because students have to learn/do everything and can’t choose their favorite classes in the beginning and leave the unliked classes for the end. If students choose their favorite classes first and then have to do the other classes because of credit then they might be not as good in those classes. This system might save time too because the class can move to the next topic whenever they are ready, and the level might be higher at a lower age compared to U.S. students. 

I feel really comfortable when I go to my high school. I feel accepted and I don’t see anyone judging me based on anything. Everyone seems to be welcome and skin color, sexual orientation or status does not matter. Everyone can just be how they want to be. I feel like I can’t be myself in German high schools. I don’t know why that was but I felt that people judge me based on what I wear or what I say. It made me really sad after I realized it and I think that there are other people thinking so too. I am happy here at my high school and hope that German schools could be like that too. 

German and American schools have positive and negative sides, and I think we should concentrate on the positive ones. The countries could learn from each other to have optimal school systems. 

That’s everything I can tell about high school yet. I hope you like it and it was interesting/informative. 

-Amin