Snow, pancakes, sunsets, and Demi Lovato

Olivia R.

SNOW!!! It made me incredibly, overly happy when I looked out the window to see snow on the Andes. I guess I have just missed the views that I am used to in Colorado. This is the first time I have seen snow in Chile. Either the mountains with snow are high enough to be concealed by clouds or it might have been the first time it snowed this year in the mountains. I'm not entirely sure which. In Santiago it very, very rarely snows... like once every three years, but it does rain. Which I love!! It is slowly getting colder and colder and turning from fall to winter. We got our first rainy day yesterday but the leaves on the trees are still in the process of turning colors. It's beautiful! My sister, Antonia (Anto), and my room have two windows on opposite sides of the room. One of our views is into the backyard with the pool and then you can see the whole city of Santiago and the Cordillas de la Costa (Coastal Range) on the horizon. Our other view is of the Andes. We get these two breathtaking views because our comun, La Florida, is up higher than the rest of Santiago and our neighbor hood is located on the start of the foothills. 

One of our views: The Andes (Now with snow!!!)

La foto 2 (3)

Our other view: The Coastal mountain range on the other side of Santiago

La foto 3 (1)

My Aunt and cousin from Vermont send me a care package containing many things including Vermont's Maple Syrup. That initiated the idea to make my host family American pancakes. It was so cool to be able to share part of my culture with them since everyday it is them showing me about their culture... So we switched it up and along with the pancakes, I showed them pictures of Colorado, my family, all the snow we get, how bike-friendly Fort Collins is, the mountains, and wildlife. They really liked the pancakes so the next morning we made even more! The version of pancakes Chileans eat are called "panqueques" but to Americans, they are crepes. American pancakes are called hotcakes. I hope my family continues to want to eat American pancakes because I miss them! 

To add another random topic to this blog post...I have some more sunset pictures that I couldn't resist sharing:

I never imagined myself going to a Demi Lovato concert, but the point of this experience is to do new things right? So in six days I am going to see Demi with Anto (my 15 year old sis) and all her friends! I gotta get busy listening to her songs! On the topic of famous singers, One Direction is in Chile right now. Some of Anto's friends went to their concert as well. Also, Lana Del Rey was touring in Chile a couple of weeks ago. 

Well from snow to pancakes to sunsets to getting a ticket for Demi, this week was pretty fun! 

Chaooo for now!