An incredible weekend in Lisbon (Portugal)

High School Abroad in Spain

Dani Gonzalez

Lisbon is one of the Spain optional spring trips. Lisbon is the capital of Portugal, one of the neighbor countries of Spain. At CIEE we believe of the importance of exploring not only Spain, but its surroundings. Lisbon has gained popularity in the past few years and it has been recognised as an alpha-level global city by the Globalization and World Cities (GaWC) Study Group because of its importance in finance, commerce, media, entertainment, arts, international trade, education and tourism.

Lisbon is one of the oldest cities in th world and one of the oldest in Western Europe. Lisbon is a city full of charm, fun graffitis, great food like the famous Belem pastries and roasted suckling pig. Of course, olive oil and cheeses are also a big highlight.

Students get to visit San Jorge´s Castle, Bairro Alto, Jerónimos Monastery, Belém Tower and as well as other typical sightseeing. Our students got to enjoy lots of free time to explore by themselves. One of the experiences of going abroad is getting a sense of independence and learning how to become a young adult while navigating a new city. We ask students to be on time for tours, getting up by themselves and enjoy a breakfast together at the hostel common room as well as learn that punctuality means showing respect for the whole group. All our trips are with CIEE guides who only speak Spanish to our students. 

We normally stay at very cool hostels like this one in Lisbon: clean, hip and very well located. Students share rooms only with CIEE students. Check it out: http://lisb-onhostel.com/