Full Circle

High School Abroad in Spain

Madison P.

I have been home for a little over two weeks, and it seems like I have been putting off writing this final blog because it finalizes the end of my time in Spain. My last few weeks in Spain were fun times to spend with friends and family. Saying goodbyes in Spain was different than anything before because I didn't know when I would see the amazing people I met again, which was a hard reality to realize.

My two seperate worlds came together because my  parents came to Spain and stayed with my host family for a couple days. My parents and I were fortunate to have been able to travel throughout Spain including Granada, Sevilla and Barcelona. The architecture, food, and people in Spain amazed me during the entire trip. My parents and I were able to experience new things that we will always have as memories. Traveling Spain really made me realize how much there is to see in one country, and how many opportunities there are to soak up the culture and the history.

My time in Spain went by faster than any other time in my life, and it has been my reality for so long now, so adjusting back has been strange to say the least. I think there has been some sort of reverse culture shock because I sometimes expect things to be like they were in Spain. I can't believe that I am already back in Michigan and going to school and reconnecting with friends and family. Transitioning back to my life in the US has been eerie in some ways because I now have two homes and two families and two sets of friends, and these two seperate worlds are only connected by me. It is hard to describe to people what five months of my life was like because it was bad and it was good and it was everything in between. The only word to explain how it was is worthwhile. All of it was worthwhile. 

Oona and I on one of my last days in Valencia.

A church in Granada.