Application Tips and Procedure
At CIEE, our goal is to make it as easy as possible for you to choose the right program and apply successfully. To that end, we are here to provide some application tips and to walk you through the application procedure.
When filling out your High School USA application, be sure to keep the following tips in mind:
- When describing your life and interests, be as thorough as possible. This information will be provided to your host family; that way, they have a chance to get to know who you are before meeting you.
- Always be honest. If you have only one hobby, that is okay. Write about how important this hobby is to you and how it enhances your life. If you have lots of hobbies, write about these as well.
- Please do not select hobbies or interests that are not important to you. Otherwise, you may be matched to a host family that is interested in things you are not.
- Read all the documents provided in the course of your application. Also, be sure to sign and date each form, as required.
- If you have allergies or allergy-related dietary restrictions, please discuss these with your doctor. Please also ensure that your doctor completes all necessary CIEE documentation regarding your allergies or allergy-related dietary restrictions.
- When submitting photos, ask yourself: Will these make a good first impression with my host family? If the answer is no, you may want to select other photos.
Your CIEE international representative will provide you with the High School USA application and will answer any questions you may have about completing it. The application should be filled out with as much detail as possible. This ensures that your application will be processed quickly.
In addition to the application, you will also be asked to submit some additional documents to show your eligibility for our program. These attachments include but are not limited to:
- A copy of your passport
- Proof of funds
- School transcripts from the last three years
- English language test scores
It is important that all information provided in both the application and any attachments is complete, current, and truthful. Additionally, any documents that are not in English must have an English translation submitted with them.
Once your application is confirmed by your CIEE international representative, it will be reviewed by CIEE to verify your eligibility.