Spend a Day with me in Paris

By: Isabella del Rosario

If you are thinking about studying abroad, it might be natural to wonder what a regular day in your life would be like. So, I would like to walk you through an average day with me in Paris

First, on a day I have class, which is every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I woke up in the morning, after sleeping in a bit (my first class wasn’t until 12:30). Then I either make myself breakfast with groceries I bought from the local Carrefour Express or I will grab a pastry on my walk to the CIEE center, which is about 20 minutes from where I lived. Once I got to the center I would settle myself in for my first class, 19th Century Art History, and prepare for an intense two and a half hours. Since blocks at CIEE are only 6 weeks long, our classes have to be longer to accommodate for the large amount we have to learn in so little time. After this I walk five minutes down the street to one of my favorite cafes, Kawaa Paris, and grab a quick coffee or tea before my next class. My next class is Fashion and Business in France where I learn all about the fashion industry and haute-couture. This class ends at 6:30 so it's time to pack up and go home for dinner. It is easy to make meals for myself in my apartment with my fully stocked kitchen. I often make pasta on the stove or roast veggies in the oven. This concludes a regular class day, not very exciting, but great for building a routine and assimilating into life abroad. Also, classes are not always in the classroom, there are often days I have to metro into the city to a museum or gallery for an on-site class. 

Next, life looks a little different on free days which are Wednesdays, Fridays, and the rest of the weekend. Almost every Wednesday and Friday there is a different activity held at CIEE Paris that is worth doing and easy to work into the day. These activities are typically in the morning or early afternoon so I go after I have breakfast. If I am not participating in these activities I like to go out into the city and explore the sites. This means I will walk to the nearest metro station and take it to whatever I plan to see that day. In Paris, this has included the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum, and Sacre Coeur. When I am out and about I also prioritize trying some of the local food so I will stop by a restaurant that looks good and try something new. After a full day of exploring I will go back home and hang out with my friends. One of my favorite things to do at the end of the day would be to go to a boulangerie and fromagerie and pick up some fresh bread and cheese and snack with my friends and have fun conversations! 

This is just a brief summary of how I spent my days while in Paris and it may be a glimpse into how you might spend yours. CIEE provides wonderful opportunities to see many different places and encourages you to explore and find your own way in the city. I loved my time in Paris building a routine, certainly helped it feel like home.