Los Herbolarios de Madrid

By: Graycie Viscon

As a vegetarian, my first few days in Madrid were filled with bland meals of supermarket lentils, beans, and tofu. In the country of jamón, I was having trouble finding plant-based proteins. That is until, one morning walking to class, I smelled the familiar scent of my local PNW health foods store. This is how I discovered Madrid’s herbolarios.

Literally, ‘herbalists’, these shops sell everything from vitamins and supplements, to organic cosmetics, to specialty foods. Vegans can find “jamón” made of vital wheat gluten, yogurt made of soy, and burgers made of seitan; gluten-free folks will enjoy the largest variety of breads, crackers, and desserts made of buckwheat, quinoa, rice, or other gluten-free grains; gym rats delight over the largest protein bar and powder selection around; and the regular shopper will no doubt discover a new cereal, fruit, or dip unavailable at the regular supermarket.

Navarro Herbolario (C. de Alcalá, 19, 28014) is located just a block away from CIEE Madrid, just off Puerta del Sol. This makes it a fun stop between classes or even on break. Quite a bit smaller but no less delightful, is Herbolario Artume (C. de Mauricio Legendre, 7, 28046) in Chamartín (not even a block from the dorm). The owner of this small shop is the sweetest, offering to order me anything he didn’t carry, saying he could get it faster than if I ordered it online myself. I found his shop from the 5% off flyer he left at the front desk of the dorm.

So when you are in Madrid, be sure to check out the herbolarios, even if you aren’t a vegetarian.