Dining in Madrid: Best Coffee Shops, Tapas, and more!

By: Ella Schneider

As my study abroad semester comes to an end, I've tracked my dining experiences to compile the ultimate guide for navigating Madrid's diverse culinary scene. 

Coffee Shops and Breakfast:

Kickstarting the day with a cup of coffee is a non-negotiable. Real Coffee, Wilko, and Monkee Coffee top my list as go-to spots—all conveniently within walking distance from my apartment, offering both fantastic and affordable coffees. Unexpectedly, I discovered that many European coffee shops have a no-computer policy. For those seeking a productive ambiance, Real Coffee and Cafe Federal stand out, providing an ideal environment to work, complemented by delectable options such as Cafe Federal's Shakshuka.

Tapas:

For tapas aficionados, La Musa Malasana is a must-visit, offering a unique twist with authentic Spanish tapas like ham croquettes alongside global delights such as Chow Mein and Chow Fun dishes—all served in tapas style for the perfect sharing experience. El Castizo, another favorite, excels in traditional tapas, with their green peppers and meatballs stealing the show. Additional recommendations include Venta El Buscon, Juana La Loca, Hermosilla, and Casa Salvador. For an extraordinary dining experience, Tetel stands out, combining live music with interactive dishes.

Other Cuisines:

When craving Italian delights, Bel Mondo and Villa Capri reign supreme for the best pizza and pasta in Madrid. Despite sharing an owner, each establishment offers a unique experience, with vibrant atmospheres matching the quality of their food and drinks. A personal favorite is the pasta served fresh from the cheese wheel, and with regularly changing menus, there's always something new to try.

For a taste of the Mediterranean, Amazonico, Quintin, and Ten Con Ten, all owned by the same proprietor, deliver diverse vibes, foods, and experiences. Quintin is perfect for a delightful lunch, while Ten Con Ten and Amazonico shine during dinner. In my opinion, Amazonico boasts the finest steak in Madrid. Each restaurant provides an enjoyable dining experience, making them essential stops on your culinary journey through the city.