Information we collect
CIEE may collect information from users of our website. This information includes:
- Information you provide to us: When you create an account on our website, you may choose to disclose information including contact information, and personal information including information regarding your educational background and interests.
- Information that is automatically collected: When you visit the CIEE webpage, we may automatically collect non-personally identifiable information, such as information about your hardware devices, your use of the CIEE website, and information about the website that referred you to the CIEE site.
- Information from third parties: CIEE may combine information provided by you with information from third parties, for the purpose of providing you better service. Examples of such information include address verification service or data analytics.
How we use information
CIEE will use information you provide to improve your experience, including:
- Providing you with information or services you request, including newsletters and email notifications.
- Suggesting programs or services that match the interests you have identified.
- Streamlining the application process by pre-filling information you have already provided.
- Understanding the way our website is used, and improving it to better suit the needs of users like you.
Information we share with others
CIEE treats your personal information as private. Subject to the exceptions set out below, CIEE will not share information about you with third-parties without your permission, and will make reasonable efforts to guard your information against unauthorized disclosure.
Service providers: CIEE contracts with service providers to perform a variety of services, including hosting this webpage. To the extent any service providers have access to information about you in the course of performing services for CIEE, they are prohibited from using it for any other purpose.
Partners: CIEE may share information about you with our partner organizations in order to provide you with services requested by you. For example, we may share information in the course of evaluating your application or facilitating your placement in a program. This information is shared only for the limited purpose of providing the requested service (such as application evaluation or program placement), and may not be used for any other purpose.
Law Enforcement / For your protection and ours: CIEE reserves the right to share information about you where CIEE believes that such disclosure is necessary to comply with a legal requirement, such as a subpoena or court order, or to protect the rights or property of CIEE, you, or third-parties.
CIEE does not rent or sell its mailing list. We will not share information about you with third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Your choices about information
CIEE's webpage allows you to create a profile, including personal information. You may update or correct this information at any time to ensure its continued accuracy. Additionally, CIEE provides you choices regarding the way we use the personal information you have provided us. For example, you may sign up to receive newsletters or email notification regarding particular products or services. You may opt out of receiving these communications at any time, by contacting us at the address provided below.
Cookies & Web Beacons
A cookie is a small data file that can be placed on your hard drive when you visit certain web sites. Cookies are used to collect and store information, such as the type of computer you are using and how often you log on to a site. This web site uses both "session cookies," to improve your navigation across our website and to remember you over the course of a single visit, and "persistent cookies," which may be stored on your computer for up to 30 days and which help us provide better service to you over multiple visits to our website. You can always delete or disable cookies through your browser. If you disable cookies, you may not be able to sign in or take advantage of certain features of this website that require cookies.
In addition to cookies, we may deliver "web beacons" through our website or through emails we send you. Web beacons are small graphic images that may not be visible to Site visitors that collect information about the usage of the Site on an anonymous basis. In some cases, anonymous data may be transmitted to third-party advertising networks. We may use web beacons for our own internal analytics, to better understand the ways users interact with our website, or to determine whether a particular email was received and opened. We may also use web beacons in connection with our marketing efforts. For example, web beacons allow third-party advertising networks to detect when a user has visited CIEE's website, and then serve them ads for CIEE's programs when they browse to another site.
CIEE's website is not intended for use by children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
Consent to processing in the United States
CIEE is located in the United States. Please be aware that any information you provide to us may be processed and transferred to the United States and be subject to United States law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. By using this website and providing us with information, you are consenting to CIEE's collection, transfer, storage and processing of your information in the United States.
Notification of changes
CIEE: Council on International Educational Exchange 300 Fore Street
Portland, ME 04101
EFFECTIVE: March 20, 2013