Do You Qualify to Train in The United States?

A training in the United States is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. It will set the stage for career advancement and enrich your life immeasurably as you experience American business practices and culture. If you’ve decided that a CIEE Professional Career Training USA program sounds like the right choice for you, the first step is to find out if you’re eligible.

Prospective trainees have to meet some basic requirements set by the U.S. Department of State to qualify for a J-1 Visa.


Click to Open

You must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Have the English skills necessary to function in an American workplace
  • Train in a field related to your professional background
  • Have a degree and at least one year of professional experience related to the proposed training, or have five years of professional experience related to the proposed training; all experience must have been gained at the age of 18 or older

There may be additional eligibility criteria, depending on the specifics of your proposed training. Please check with your CIEE international representative for comprehensive eligibility information, or contact CIEE directly.

If you are currently a full-time student, or have graduated from university with in the past year, CIEE Internship USA may be the right program for you. Learn More

A Look Inside the J-1 Visa Program

The U.S. Department of State

Click to Open

The J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program was introduced by the U.S. Department of State more than 45 years ago to promote international exchange and cultural understanding. The U.S. Department of State:

  • Approves and issues visas through embassies in a participant’s home country. Students apply for a J-1 Visa, valid for up to 12 months. The American Embassy also issues J-2 Visas for dependents.
  • Grants a set number of eligibility certificates – called Form DS-2019 – to qualified sponsors, including CIEE. Learn more.
  • Oversees the program; sets and enforces rules to guarantee that visa holders are supported and benefit from cultural exchange
  • Requires an approved training plan – called Form DS-7002 – to ensure proper professional development. Learn more.

Host organizations

Click to Open

Host organizations include American businesses, nonprofits, government offices, and educational institutions. The host organization:

  • Offers positions that promote professional development and exchange
  • Creates the DS-7002 training plan as part of the application process
  • Supervises and trains participants during the program by executing the training plan
  • Provides opportunities for cultural exchange for participants

CIEE’s Role

Click to Open

CIEE is a leading J-1 Visa sponsor – in fact, one of the largest – entrusted by the U.S. government to manage the program. While every sponsor must comply with J-1 rules, CIEE goes farther by offering a higher level of service and value to participants and host organizations.