Goodbyes and New Beginnings

Gabriel V.

Gabriel V.

After a summer of schoolwork and preparing for my exchange, I finally found the time to say my goodbyes to my friends. I especially cherished our time together because after our senior year, coming in fall (which I’ll spend with CBYX in Germany), I know it will be harder for us to meet up as we do so frequently, once we are split across the world for college.

My friends and I started the night watching the movie Mama Mia: Here We Go Again in our favorite theater in our hometown. We had a great time labeling each other as the characters on screen and singing obnoxiously along to our favorite songs. After this we all met up in the back of my friend’s pick-up truck (as seen in the picture above) and talked for what seemed like hours. After this we began to develop an appetite and we decided to meet up at Chili’s, where we spent our night eating an endless bowl of nachos and messing around with the funny filters on snapchat. Delaying our farewells, we decide to head next door, where a Burger King was located, and grab desserts while we hang around by the children’s playground. With no further delay possible, the reality of the situation finally kicked in. This was not like any other of our hangouts, but my goodbye. Here I said my goodbyes to a few of my friends and they signed my movie ticket with their sweet messages. It wasn’t until that moment that I realized how bittersweet leaving on exchange truly is. All throughout the end of my Junior year I had been counting down the days until I could leave on exchange and now, only two days away, I wish I had a little more time. Thankfully I was born in the 21st Century and I have the ability to FaceTime my friends throughout the year and share with them my adventures on my exchange, but it will never be the same as those nights. I am still very thankful for this memorable night with my amazing friends and it is a moment that I will, without a doubt, be taking with me to Germany.

On the other hand, I am really excited for CBYX 2018-2019 and I am really appreciative of my time spent with my friends and family. In two days will say “tschüss” to my island of Puerto Rico and the start of a new stage of my life which I am excited to experience and share with you. Until next time, or better said, Bis Bald!