Is Hosting an Exchange Student Right for Me?
Being a CIEE USA High School host family is about creating a home away from home. You’re part parent, part cultural ambassador, part mentor. Hosting is a chance to learn from one another. Our host families tell us over and over that their lives are just as touched and changed as those of their exchange student.
Snapshot: What’s it like to host?
CIEE host families welcome eager high school students into their homes, where they quickly become part of the family – no wonder many families choose to host again and again.
What can you do with your host student?
CIEE host parents are volunteers who must be at least 25 years old, and able to provide the following:
- A welcoming home for one or two high school semesters
- Family support
- A bedroom and a bed (students can share rooms with children of the same gender within four years of his/her age)
- An appropriate place to study
- Meals at home and school
- Assistance coordinating appropriate transportation
We’ll Help You Connect
CIEE helps you keep students engage with activities designed to bring participants, host families, and communities closer together:
- Each CIEE student completes a community-service project
- CIEE students and host families can participate in fun events, like photo and recipe contests
"In a world that seems so immense, we are all still family. And teenagers, no matter where they are from, are still just teenagers who need guidance and love.”
– Michael G., 2014 CIEE Host Father of the Year, via Facebook
Constant Support for Peace of Mind
CIEE is known for the support and high level of quality in everything we do. Our Local Coordinators, also known as LCs, are your go-to resource, members of your community who are ready to ensure a positive experience. Your LC will:
- Outline the program and get to know you, so we can match you with the right student.
- Be your principal CIEE contact while you’re hosting, and your first resource for advice, guidance, and assistance.
In case of emergency, just call our expert staff members at CIEE headquarters. They’re on call 24/7.