From your base in scenic Portland, Maine, you’ll gain skills and experience in how to turn your passion into a successful venture.
Entrepreneurial skills are more important for enhancing your career than ever. This summer, gain access to a 21-century mindset, leadership techniques, and tools that will enable you to turn your passions into successful ventures. Practice entrepreneurial thinking to solve global and local community issues and drive business startups.
Take a look at real-world case studies and hear success stories from local entrepreneurs, business owners, and community activists. Visit locally and internationally owned businesses and soak up American culture through frequent off-campus field trips.
Explore all this alongside fellow high school students from the local area, across the United States, and around the globe. You’ll live in a multicultural American college environment where you’ll make new friends and take part in fun activities and excursions. You’ll gain problem-solving and leadership skills that will last a lifetime, as well as potential mentors and trusted advisors to help you in your studies and career.
Discover the cozy coastal heart of the American Northeast.
Your base is a college campus on the scenic Maine coast, across the bay from the historic seaport of Portland – now widely considered one of the hippest small cities in the country. Walk the narrow cobblestone streets and visit quirky boutiques, vintage record and clothing stores, and hands-down some of the best bakeries and craft donut shops around (yes, we’re partial, but this is CIEE’s home turf!).
Stroll through the Arts District, home of the world-class Portland Museum of Art, and the Historic Old Port, a working waterfront that doubles as a relaxed shopping, dining, and entertainment district. Portland’s reputation as a serious foodie city has soared, deservedly so, but that can mean long waits at restaurants. Thankfully there are plenty of more accessible options, such as food trucks or markets.
- More than 45 hours of targeted instruction in global entrepreneurial principles and practices
- Direct interactions with leaders of successful high-tech startups
- Hands-on experience in building, serving on, and managing project teams
- Expert guidance in creating business pitches to win crucial stakeholder support
- Experience creating an entrepreneurial business/action plan and presentation to apply in your own community
- Team-building skills
- A certificate of learning in Global Entrepreneurship
Sample Activities & Excursions
Get excited about all the things you could do during your time abroad! sample itinerary
- Catch a minor league baseball game.
- Hit nearby beaches and the scenic Maine coast.
- Kayak on one of Maine’s many lakes, rivers, or the ocean.
- Explore Portland Harbor and its gorgeous Casco Bay islands by ferry boat.
- Take a day trip to Boston, Massachusetts.
Meet the Staff
Rachel’s passion for travel began in high school, when she spent a month on the south island of New Zealand. The experience allowed her to gain a stronger sense of independence and an understanding of different lifestyles and cultures.
She has travelled internationally and has spent many hours in the car exploring the United States and Canada. Rachel is excited to help high school students have similar life changing and culturally enriching experiences while abroad.
Rachel, a native Mainer, returned to her home state after living in Colorado for a few years and attending college in New York. In her free time, she enjoys skiing, biking, exploring the Maine coast, and spending time with her husband and their golden retriever.