TEFL in Spain
MAY 7-18, 2018
Destination TEFL in Spain
Few major cities on earth exude as much cultural diversity as Barcelona. Day or night, there are seemingly infinite ways to spend your time: admiring the unique architecture, taking in a futbol match (with some of the most passionate fans on the planet), laying out on the beaches, or losing yourself in the food -- and these are merely jumping off points...
During the weekdays, use your newfound TEFL knowledge teaching English in a Spanish classroom. You’ll find this population of ESL learners to be engaged, ready to learn and full of life (and questions!). The weekends (and evenings) are yours to adventure and explore as you see fit, but in case you’re curious about a typical school day in Barcelona...
A Typical Day in Barcelona for a Destination TEFL Student:Click to Open
8:00am: Start your day at a nearby cafe for a cafe con leche and pan con tomate.
9:00am: Arrive at your local school to observe and teach ESL lessons with Spanish students eager to learn!
1:00pm: Enjoy a nice bowl of vegetable, bean or seafood soup with your classmates.
2:00pm: Get out your notebooks! Travel to the CIEE Barcelona classroom for ESL instruction by an experienced mentor teacher. During this time, you’ll discuss what went well in the morning, what you are preparing for the next day, and have intercultural training for success in a Spanish classroom.
6:00pm: Work is done for the day! Enjoy a nice stroll around the beautiful streets of Barcelona, or visit some of the famous sights and scenes of this beautiful city.
10:00pm: Dinner! Spaniards typically eat dinner a little later
Note: Schedule is an example, subject to change
Weekend InspirationClick to Open
The weekend is yours to explore - here are a few suggestions on how to spend your free time:
Wander the pathways of Parc Güell, originally built to be a housing community for the richest families in Barcelona.
Visit the infamous unfinished Sagrada Familia church for a dose of culture and history.
Head to the Picasso Museum where his work is displayed on a timeline, allowing you to follow his progression as an artist.
Hop on a train and head to Priorat, famous for its red wine-making. Tour the vineyards, and soak in the mountain views.
Program Cost: $2,000
- 190 Hour TEFL certification upon completion of the online course and in-person practicum (130 hours of online coursework and 60 hours of coursework and practicum abroad).
- 2 weeks of instruction and observed practicum with local students under the guidance of an experienced mentor teacher. Includes:
- 40 hours of instruction from mentor teachers
- 20 hours of observed practicum
- Pre-departure and in-country support (what to pack, transportation advice, emergency support in-country)
- Welcome lunch
- A cultural excursion in Barcelona
- Travel insurance (for U.S. citizens and permanent residents only)
- Job assistance and advice
What’s not Included:
- Accommodations (recommended accommodation list will be provided)
- Airport pick-up
- Meals (besides welcome meal)
Dates and Deadlines
Destination TEFL Eligibility Requirements
Must be a fluent English speaker
Must have a valid passport from the U.S., Canada, England Ireland, Australia or New Zealand
Ability to obtain a clean criminal background check
Non-US citizens are required to purchase their own travel insurance
Must love adventure and traveling abroad
Have more questions?
Want to learn more?Get the definitive guide to TEFL
You must have questions, and we have answers.GET THE GUIDE