What To Look For in a TEFL Certification

CIEE TEFL

CIEE TEFL

If you’re searching for a way to move abroad to a foreign country overseas, begin a new adventure and get paid, becoming TEFL certified is a great first step. Becoming TEFL certified can open all kinds of doors and launch a career in travel and education.

To become an English teacher abroad, generally the only requirements are to be a native English speaker, but in many cases having a bachelor’s degree and becoming TEFL certified will give you a leg up in a crowded field. When it comes to obtaining a TEFL certification, there are a lot of options out there, but in order to get the most return from your certification its important to do your research and choose the correct one for you and your goals. While you’re searching here are just a few things you should be looking out for: 

(Since there are so many different types of TEFL courses out there, these tips are going to focus mainly on online TEFL courses.)

1. At least 100 hours of course work

In order to meet international standards and other accrediting organizations, 100 hours of training is the minimum you should be looking to have. This isn’t to say that you can’t teach abroad without 100 hours of training, however if you choose a shorter course, you might be limiting yourself on where you will be eligible to teach later on. If you’re searching for real and quality TEFL training anything less than 100 hours will not cut it.

2. In-person live training (practicum)

When looking into an online TEFL course, one requirement to look out for is practicum. This may seem like a difficult addition, and although you might be tempted to enroll in a course where its isn’t required, practicum is actually a critical portion of your TEFL training. Courses generally require about 20 hours of practicum; therefore, new teachers can feel comfortable and confident in front of the classroom before they depart! Not all online courses require practicum, so make sure it’s a requirement before enrolling. Completing your practicum is easier than you might realize, and you’ll be glad you did it once it’s over!

3. Qualified tutors or professors

When it comes to online courses, it's difficult to be sure you’re getting the proper instruction. If you require a more hands-on learning experience, do your research to confirm that your course is being run by university-level instructors. However, for those who enjoy learning a bit more independently, having qualified live tutors who are there to assist when you need it might be enough instruction for you. In this case, it's less about the quality of information you’re receiving and more about how you receive it. Get to know your learning style and choose what’s best for you!

4. Job assistance

Navigating the world of teaching abroad can be confusing! There’s a lot of information out there and without proper guidance or job placement, mistakes can be made. When searching for a TEFL course, be sure to keep an out for what kind of job assistance they provide once you are certified. Do they have partnerships with schools abroad to be placed in? Do they provide resources for applications elsewhere? A good TEFL course should provide some sort of guide in order for you to get the most out of your money.

The world of TEFL can be tricky, so as always, properly researching your course options is a must. Be weary of any too-good-to-be-true prices, because in many cases, you get what you pay for. Once you find the course for you; the world is your oyster! Better yet, the world is your classroom. Where will your classroom be?