12 Companies That’ll Hire You to Teach English Online Without a Degree

CIEE TEFL

Teaching English online has quickly become one of the easiest ways for native English speakers to earn money online and set their own work schedules. It's an exciting opportunity that can open the doors to a new full-time career or even act as a way to save money to teach abroad in the future. But before you can begin teaching English online, there are a few essential things to consider. 

And if you're interested but unsure if it's possible to teach English online without a degree, this guide shares all you need to know.

Read more: How to Teach English Online & Earn Money From Home or Abroad 

Can you teach English online without a degree?

The short answer is yes! While many online teaching opportunities require teachers to have a college degree, not all do, which means it's possible to teach English online without a degree. However, you must ensure you meet the other important job requirements to teach English online.

Requirements to Teach English Online Without a Degree

When applying to teach English online, there are a few general requirements that many employers have for their teachers. For example, you’ll likely be required to: 

• Be a native or near native-English speaker
  • Show proof of a reputable TEFL certificate
  • Have a strong Wi-Fi signal
  • Own a computer or laptop with a webcam
  • Own a headset or headphones with a microphone
  • Have previous teaching experience (not always required, but often preferred)

Can you teach English online without a TEFL certificate?

If you don't have a degree but wish to teach English online, having a reputable TEFL certificate is vital to securing a job. Employers prefer to hire teachers with professional qualifications, and a TEFL certificate is valuable training that can make your application stand out, especially without a degree. Not only that, but a TEFL certificate provides aspiring teachers with essential teaching methodologies and strategies to succeed in teaching English as a foreign language.

Read more: How much should a TEFL certification cost?

How much can you earn teaching English online?

Online English teachers without a degree can expect to earn between $8-$20+ per hour. Some companies allow teachers to set their own rates for a small fee, while others pay teachers a set rate. Most online teachers work part-time hours, especially when first starting out and building their student base. Those with a TEFL certificate and previous experience have the potential to earn more as an online English teacher.

Photo for blog post 12 Companies That’ll Hire You to Teach English Online Without a Degree

12 Companies Where You Can Teach English Online Without a Degree

If you’re ready to begin the job hunt, here is a list of companies that hire English teachers without a degree.

1. Preply

Preply is a tutoring company that accepts English teachers to their online marketplace—no degree required. The platform is set up to allow students to "shop for" and choose tutors based on their skills and personality. 

Students come from all over the world, allowing teachers to work any time of day and connect with people from over 180 countries. Preply teachers set their rates, with many charging $15-$25 an hour, depending on qualifications and experience. 

2. SkimaTalk

SkimaTalk is a Japanese company that helps adult students from around the world connect with native English teachers via their online marketplace. Lessons with SkimaTalk are 25 minutes each and are conducted over Skype. 

Teachers do not need a degree or a TEFL certificate, however, these qualifications can make you stand out to students on the platform. Teachers at SkimaTalk set their own rates and earn between $7-$15 per 25-minute lesson, minus SkimaTalk's 20% fee.

3. Cambly

Cambly is a US-based company that hires native English teachers of all backgrounds. It has some of the most relaxed job requirements in the market, and teachers do not need a degree, TEFL certificate, or previous experience to apply. Classes are conducted one-on-one via video call and can be 15, 30, or 60 minutes long. Payment is calculated by the minute, totaling between $10.20-$12 an hour depending on student age level. 

4. Lingoda

Lingoda is a unique platform where native speakers of English, French, Spanish, and other in-demand languages can apply to teach. A degree isn't needed to tutor with Lingoda, but teachers must have a TEFL certificate and at least two years of previous teaching experience. On average, online teachers at Lingoda earn $8-$12 an hour.

5. Italki

italki is an online teacher marketplace in Hong Kong that works much like social media. Accepted teachers must market themselves and their lessons on the italki platform in order to attract students. 

There are two teaching jobs offered by italki: Professional Teachers who must show proof of a TEFL certificate, and Community Tutors who can apply without meeting strict requirements. Teachers are free to charge any fee but must pay italki a 15% commission fee.

6. Open English

Open English caters to students of all ages who are based in Latin America. Most lessons are conducted during evenings and weekends in students' time zones, and teachers must commit to teaching at least 10 hours each week. 

To apply, you'll need a TEFL certificate, prove you have fast enough Wi-Fi, and pass a grammar test. Those who speak Spanish or Portuguese have a leg up on the competition. On average, Open English teachers earn about $10-$13 an hour.

7. Verbling

Verbling is an online platform that hires speakers of various languages. Being a native speaker of the language you wish to teach is not required, but you must prove that you know it at a C1 level or higher. 

Although having a degree or teaching experience is not required, proof of previous language teaching experience is a must. Tutors can earn about $20 an hour, minus Verbling's 15% commission fee.

8. Allschool

Allschool is an online platform that hires native English speakers without requiring formal qualifications like a degree or a TEFL certificate. Allschool is unique in that teachers have total freedom to set their own rates, create their lessons, and even set the duration of their classes. 

It's also possible to teach languages and subjects other than English. Allschool teachers typically earn between $15-$20+ an hour and must be available to teach during peak hours in Singapore's time zone. 

9. Tutlo

In order to teach English online with Tutlo, you must be a native speaker from the U.S., U.K., New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, or Canada. A degree is not needed to teach with Tutlo, but a TEFL certificate and six months of teaching experience is required. Tutlo doesn’t pay the highest hourly rate, and its teachers earn only between $5-$11 an hour. However, Tutlo provides teaching materials so teachers don’t need to worry about creating lessons, lessening the workload.

10. Berlitz

Berlitz is a language school chain that has been operating around the world for decades. The company predominately hires native English speakers to teach in locations in over 70 countries but also hires teachers to lead lessons online. Online English teachers at Berlitz can earn $10-$15 per hour and enjoy access to a five-day new teacher training and a wealth of resources.

11. Amazing Talker

At Amazing Talker, online English teachers without a degree are welcome to apply. Amazing Talker’s primary requirements are that teachers must be native speakers and have previous experience teaching in a one-on-one setting. English teachers can lead a variety of lessons for all ages, ranging from conversational English practice to IELTS-focused classes. On average, online teachers at Amazing Talker earn $10-$25 per hour.

12. Learnlight

Learnlight specializes in providing business English instruction to adults. To teach with Learnlight, you'll need a foreign language teaching qualification and at least two years of teaching experience. Those with specific expertise in business or teaching business English have a competitive edge. Teachers must also commit to a one-year contract and be available to teach at least 10 hours a week. Learnlight tutors can earn between $12-$14 an hour.

Start Teaching English Online: Get TEFL Certified with CIEE

One of the first steps to teaching English online is enrolling in a quality TEFL course, especially for those without a degree. It's one of the most important job requirements for most online TEFL jobs and can help give your application a boost.

CIEE TEFL's 150-Hour TEFL Certificate course is a fantastic jumping-off point for your career as an English teacher and is easy to complete online in just three months. This comprehensive course includes:

Learn more