Information for term Teach in Italy Express
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineSeptember 1, 2020
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Program Fee: $1,300
OverviewClick to Open
Build your resume and gain international teaching experience in the heart of Rome, one of Europe’s oldest and most fascinating cities.
During this intensive two-week program you will develop your English teaching skills in a real world environment. You will spend 40 hours learning from an expert ESL teacher trainer and then will apply what you learn with 20 hours of in-classroom experience. This program is designed for candidates who will complete at least 120 hours of TEFL certification prior to arriving in Rome or experienced teachers who want to further develop their English teaching skills.
Add a 150-Hour CIEE TEFL Certification for $700 ($1,100 VALUE) Apply Now
|Winter||January 2021||September 1||2 weeks|
About Our Program Fees
CIEE, a non-profit organization, has been sending university graduates abroad to teach English since 1997. Our express programs allow you to experience teaching abroad in a realistic setting with guidance and training from professionals in Italy. This includes 60 hours of professional development. 20 hours of structured practicum and 40 hours of teacher training. This program has a $1,300 program fee to cover the costs of operating the program. When combined with CIEE’s 150 hour TEFL certificate, the cost of the program is $2,000.
CIEE alumni receive a 10% discount.
What's includedClick to Open
- 2 weeks of instruction and observed practicum with local students under the guidance of an experienced mentor teacher. Includes:
- 40 hours of instruction from mentor teachers
- 20 hours of observed practicum
- Pre-departure and in-country support (what to pack, transportation advice, emergency support in-country)
- 60 hour certificate of TEFL professional development
- Welcome dinner
- A cultural excursion in Rome
- One-month transportation pass to use in Rome
- International insurance
- Italian Social Security Card – required to study in Italy
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Accommodation- recommended accommodation list will be provided
- Airport pick-up
- Meals (besides welcome dinner)
The DestinationClick to Open
With two weeks to live, learn and teach in Rome, there is no shortage of adventures to be had.
Teacher training sessions are held at CIEE’s Global Institute in the heart of Rome, walking distance from landmarks such as the Forum, Colosseum, and Piazza Venezia. So when the workday is over, enjoy a gelato by the Trevi Fountain or a slice of pizza next to the Colosseum; Rome is yours to discover.
Built in the 1500’s, the elegant palazzo that houses CIEE Rome has been carefully restored by artisans to maintain its richly ornate and historic features. So you can soak in this fine example of Renaissance art and architecture while expanding your expertise as an English teacher.
2 weeks abroad in italy
60 hours of professional development
Pre-departure and in-country support and guidance from CIEE
Job DescriptionClick to Open
This intensive 2 week training program includes a mix of 20 hours guided practicum with 40 hours of teacher training. Completing the training will result in a completion certificate. The topics that will be covered include:
- Intercultural Teaching and Learning
- Reflective Teaching and Action Research Planning
- Classroom Management
- Differentiation of instruction to meet learner needs
- Tailored Lesson Planning (teaching a specific age group, topic, etc.)
- Use of Instructional Materials
- Philosophy of teaching
20 hours structured practicum
Mix of observation and active teaching (could be co-teaching or lead, depends on each cohort). Practicums will be held at an English language school where most of the students are 15-16 years old.
40 hours teacher training
Classes are held at the Rome Global Institute which is right in the center. A 500 year old newly renovated building that maintains its classical architecture and aesthetics. Classroom trainings are managed by a dedicated TEFL professional with experience in teacher training.