Recapping the First Month & First Trip

Alexandra K.

Alexandra K.

Hey All!

In my previous post, I talked about culture shock and how it has made me feel misplaced in a large and unfamiliar city. Fast forwarding three weeks, I am happy to say that that is no longer the case anymore. Since my last post,

everything has just been falling into place. After getting the "Abono Joven", a 30-day multi-ride seasonal pass, I can go anywhere in the city without any problems. While the Metro here, is cleaner, and takes longer for trains to arrive, 

it still reminds me of when I'm at home in Manhattan waiting for the subway. Waiting for a train, is universal, It's something I did all the time in NY and it's something that will not change no matter where you go. Strangely, it has made me feel more

comfortable and has eased my adjustment to learning to live in Madrid. At the end of the day, once a city girl, always a city girl! 

In addition to getting the "Abono Joven", I've completed my "Tarjeta de Extranjero Fingerprinting Appointment", got my "Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual" appointment next week, and have all of my paperwork in order to finally destress. 

I think I really started to calm down and stop being homesick when I made friends with my new international roommates, started doing some more touristy activities in Madrid, and went back to John Cabot University in Rome to visit some old study

abroad friends from the Spring 2018 term. Returning back to Rome, and knowing how to navigate the city really gave me confidence that I could one day navigate Madrid like I did with Rome. While I had much more guidance in Rome as a student, I

kept reminding myself why I wanted to come to Spain in the first place, and that after this year, the experience would all be worth it. When I was back in Rome, I visited all the touristy sites, while seeing some of my closest friends. There were so many

memories, and while the school had made many changes, I was still glad I went, and that I could explore The Eternal City, and Vatican once more. Upon my arrival back in Madrid, I purposely took the Metro from Terminal 4 at Barajas Airport to learn

how to get to and from the airport easily on a budget with my fixed price Metro pass. Now that I've done it, it's really easy, and luckily I made it home safely before the crazy thunder and lightning storm that occurred that evening. Moving forward, I am a

lot calmer and can't wait to update you all on more of my first month adventures here in Madrid.