Information for term Marine Science & Field Work
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 14 – Jul 4, 2020 (3 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 12 – Aug 1, 2020 (3 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
From this island paradise, you’ll explore the biodiversity of the Mediterranea sea and coast, while getting swept up in the active island lifestyle.
Identify human pressures on coastal marine ecosystems and species.
Explore the biodiversity of the Mediterranean sea and coast.
Explore natural beaches and trek along unspoiled coastal trails.
Location & CultureClick to Open
The biggest of Spain’s Balearic Islands, Majorca is known for its dramatic coastal landscapes, sunny climate, and laid-back lifestyle.It’s also known for tourism, and it supports the third largest international airport in Spain. This combination of factors makes it an ideal place to study the impact of tourism on the natural world. A crossroads of cultures over the centuries, Palma has a fascinating multicultural flavor. Magnificent sites include a Gothic cathedral, a Moorish palace, and a Medieval castle among Modernist buildings. Founded by Romans in year 123 BC, the city’s rich Islamic past is still evident within its Old City district. The Old Gothic quarter contains many hidden treasures, including small museums, courtyards, and an 800-year-old olive tree. Menorca, which roughly translates as “smaller island”, is a one-hour ferry ride from Mallorca. It’s a beautifully unspoiled gem in the Mediterranean Sea, declared “Biosphere Reserve” for its unique and well-preserved flora and fauna.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"After my trip with CIEE I have definitely grown in ways I never could if I had stayed in the US."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts above.
Hostels in Palma, Alcudia and Menorca
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Observe up close the more than 8,000 animals and 700 different species at the Palma Aquarium.
- Visit Palma’s oldest chocoletería for traditional pastries and homemade ice cream.
- Enjoy the views as you bike along the Bay of Palma and learn about coastal flora and fauna along the way.
- Study the marsh and meadow ecosystems at S’Albufera de Alcudia, Mallorca's paradise for ornithologists.
- Get lost in the life-size labyrinth at Lithica in Menorca.
- Relax during a boat day along the Menorcan coast, exploring beautiful beaches along the way.
- Explore the National Park Cabrera Archipelago, one of the best-preserved coasts in the Mediterranean.
- Take a day trip to Dragonera, a national park named after the small lizards that call the island home.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Ability to comfortably swim, as program is centered around the sea
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
This program involves engaging in moderate to high intensity physical activities such as hiking, boating and snorkeling. Ability to swim is not required but strongly encouraged to enjoy the program and location at its fullest.
|Summer Session I 2020 3 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 14, 2020||Jul 4, 2020||
|Summer Session II 2020 3 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 12, 2020||Aug 1, 2020||