Information for term Intensive Spanish Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 14 – Jul 11, 2020 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 12 – Aug 8, 2020 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
RAMP UP YOUR SPANISH LANGUAGE SKILLS WHILE VISITING PALACES AND CASTLES AND KICKING BACK ON ISLAND BEACHES.
In the capital Palma de Mallorca, we offer our most motivated Spanish learners a challenging opportunity. Open only to students with two or more years of high school Spanish, this program requires students to speak Spanish at all times – so get ready for full immersion!
In Palma, you’ll live like a local, sharing authentic meals with your homestay hosts and learning first-hand about island traditions. Daily language classes at the university building downtown are complemented with intercultural activities, museum and historical visits, and outdoor exploration.
For a small island, there’s no shortage of historical, culinary and cultural attractions. Roman ruins, a Moorish palace and Gothic cathedral each highlight a distinct part of Mallorquin history. Get a taste for the local cuisine as you make traditional recipes with a chef, go out for tapas, and visit the city’s oldest chocolatería for local pastries and homemade ice cream. Learn about modern art and architecture at the Baluard Museum, and political graffiti on a street art tour around the city.
The Mediterranean plays a vital role in the local lifestyle - walking, running, kayaking, cycling, surfing, and sailing are common. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to soak up the sun with a picnic along the shore or join a spirited beach volleyball tournament.
You’ll spend three days camping with new friends at the La Victoria Campsite, nestled in the forest along the Bay of Pollença, with spectacular sea and mountain views.
Whether on land or at sea, every day you’ll be immersed in the unique Majorcan culture and put your Spanish conversational skills to the test.
Curious about the difference between intensive and regular Language & Culture programs? Click here
60 hours of instruction in Spanish by CIEE professors
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college.
A certificate of language learning in Spanish, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Daily LifeClick to Open
"After my trip with CIEE I have definitely grown in ways I never could if I had stayed in the US."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts above.
Carefully Screened Homestay
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a scenic daytrip through the towns nestled in the coastal Tramuntana Mountain Range, a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site.
- Make new friends at Sports Day with local Spanish students.
- Learn about the more than 8,000 animals and 700 different species at the Palma Aquarium.
- Visit Palma’s oldest chocoletería for traditional pastries and homemade ice cream. Learn to cook Mallorquin dishes, all of it in Spanish!
- Experience local art and culture firsthand at Es Baluard museum, a city graffiti tour, and a traditional ball de bot dance class.
- Embark on a three-day camping trip to La Victoria in Alcudia, a seaside campground located an hour north of Palma. Spend the days swimming, snorkeling and enjoying the great outdoors before heading back to your tent underneath the Mallorcan night sky.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Two-plus years of High School Spanish. For other proficiency levels, see our programs in Buenos Aires, Valparaiso, Santiago, Cuzco, Yucatan, Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
$150 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2020 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 14, 2020||Jul 11, 2020||
|Summer Session II 2020 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 12, 2020||Aug 8, 2020||
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
You might also like
Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Spanish Language & Chilean Culture
Spanish Language & Dominican Culture
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
Spanish Language & Mexican Culture
Spanish Language & Peruvian Culture