Information for term Advanced Spanish Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 13 – Jul 10, 2021 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 11 – Aug 7, 2021 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Join a group of highly motivated language learners in the capital of Spain!
This program offers an exciting and challenging alternative for more proficient language learners! While all our Language & Culture programs offer intensive immersion, this “Advanced” program is designed to group students who have intermediate to advanced fluency in Spanish and the drive to take their language and cross-cultural understanding to the next level.
Our Advanced cohort will:
- Take a language proficiency pre-test to ensure all participants always have the fluency required to stay in Spanish . No novice learners can be accepted on this program.
- Strictly adhere to the CIEE Global Navigator Language Pledge to always use Spanish in and out of class for a grade.
- Provide feedback on your language course every week through a survey, so that our local teachers can adapt lessons to meet the group’s needs.
- Be paired in homestays with other students in the Advanced Spanish program.
- Go on all excursions and cultural activities separately from participants who are concurrently attending our regular Language & Culture program in Madrid.
If you are still excited after reading this introduction, you found the right program!
If you can continue reading this page without a dictionary, you are going to rock this and need to fill out an application ahora mismo!
Haz crecer tu español en la vibrante capital de España con una de las historias de arte más ricas de Europa.
Los expertos de CIEE te llevarán a los rincones de Madrid, mucho más allá de la ruta turística. Conocerás a artistas y artesanos locales, te conectarás con estudiantes locales de secundaria, comprarás donde los madrileños compran, recorrerás los vecindarios y probarás la increíble gastronomía de la ciudad.
Después de tus clases diarias de lengua y cultura, practicarás el español que aprendiste en clase en la comunidad en actividades con tu líder de programa, un profesor de español de EE. UU., y participarás en actividades y talleres culturales.
Tu hogar lejos de casa será una gran experiencia de aprendizaje en sí misma. Vivirás con una familia anfitriona local, practicando español mientras preparas y compartes comidas, y pasarás el rato con tus "hermanos" anfitriones, viviendo inmerso en la cultura que te rodea.
60 hours of instruction in Spanish by CIEE professors
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college
A certificate of language learning in Spanish, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Live like a Spaniard in vibrant Madrid.
The capital of Spain is one of the largest cities in Europe. Madrid is a cultural hub of art, fashion and sport, and home to many world-famous art museums and two of the best soccer clubs in the world.
Madrid is full of vibrant people who love going out, strolling the parks, eating tapas, and enjoying the city. There’s a huge open-air market, El Rastro, selling anything and everything. In short, there’s no shortage of things to do!
Food options abound, as Madrid is considered a melting pot of cuisines from all over Spain. Fried squid sandwiches and churros with chocolate are perennial student favorites. Try some pig ears if you dare!
Daily LifeClick to Open
"After my trip with CIEE I have definitely grown in ways I never could if I had stayed in the US."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog.
Carefully screened homestay
24/7 support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a guided walking tour of Spain’s cosmopolitan capital city.
- View graffiti art, wall murals, and street performances – all part of Madrid's vibrant urban art scene.
- Visit the home of Impressionist painter Joaquín Sorolla.
- Bike on cobblestone walkways along the Manzanares River and catch great views of Madrid’s historic bridges and buildings.
- Go for group hike and picnic in the National Park of Guadarrama mountains.
- Travel to the old city of San Lorenzo del Escorial, and visit the Golden Age royal palace and pantheon of Spanish Kings.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances, covid-related measures and restrictions and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Two-plus years of high school Spanish are required for Advanced programs. For our other Spanish Language & Culture programs, see our programs in Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
$150 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2021 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 13, 2021||Jul 10, 2021||
|Summer Session II 2021 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 11, 2021||Aug 7, 2021||