Information for term Spanish Language Intensive
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 9 – Jul 6, 2019 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 7 – Aug 3, 2019 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Live and breathe Spanish in lovely Alicante.
Set in lovely Alicante, this program offers a challenging alternative to our most motivated Spanish learners: open exclusively to students with two years of High School Spanish and above, this program requires that participants speak Spanish at all times. So get ready for a full immersion!
Spend four weeks improving your Spanish while exploring caves and medieval villages, visiting beaches and white-washed fishing villages, and learning to make ceramics or traditional Spanish meals. Build a lasting relationship with your local host family, while deepening your understanding of Spanish family structure. Get to know your Spanish peers through hiking, beach volleyball, or karaoke. Feast on paella, prawns, pomegranate ice cream, or churros with chocolate.
Practice your Spanish vocabulary out in the community during walks with your program leader, a U.S.-based Spanish teacher. At the end of the summer, you’ll leave Alicante with confidence in your ability to communicate proficiently in one of the world’s most widely spoken languages.
60 hours of instruction in Spanish by CIEE professors
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college
A certificate of language learning in Spanish, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Soak up the Spanish culture by the Mediterranean sea.
With its quaint medieval district juxtaposed with modern, commercial neighborhoods, Alicante has a distinct character all its own. In this friendly, medium-sized city, you’ll feel at home right away.
Climb up to the historic Santa Barbara Castle high on a city hill for a spectacular ocean view. Stroll along the palm-lined promenade Explanada de España, which is paved with 6.5 million marble floor tiles, for what’s been called the most splendid stroll in all of Spain. Visit one of the dozen fine museums. Catch a professional football (soccer) game or one of several yachting regattas.
It’s no surprise that the port city, located on Spain’s southeastern coast, is known for its fine seafood. If you’re a fan, get your fill at a local restaurant or street food stand.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"Back in the bus, down the mountain and after a little siesta on the bus, we arrived at "Las Fuentes del Algar". Imagine a "natural" water park in the mountain!...."
Learn more about daily life on this program.
Carefully Screened Host Family
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Take a walking tour of Santa Barbara Castle and the old medieval city of Alicante.
- Splash out and enjoy water sports in the Mediterranean Sea at Alicante Beach.
- Check out Alicante’s artistic urban graffiti for a glimpse of how contemporary street artists have made their mark.
- Discover medieval villages, ancient caves, and amazing waterfalls on visits to small mountain towns.
- Travel to Madrid, a city with some of the best art galleries and museums in Europe (or, some say, the world). Take time to experience its vibrant urban art scene as well.
- Go on mountain hikes for a bird’s eye view of the city.
- Learn to cook authentic Spanish dishes and make traditional ceramics in hands-on cultural workshops.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Two-plus years of High School Spanish. For other proficiency levels, see our Madrid, Seville, Guanajuato, Santiago, Valparaiso, Peru, and Barcelona programs.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insureance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
$150 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2019 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 9, 2019||Jul 6, 2019||
|Summer Session II 2019 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 7, 2019||Aug 3, 2019||
Looking for funding?
Our StaffClick to Open
You might also like
Spanish Language & Argentinian Culture
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Spanish Language & Chilean Culture
Spanish Language & Dominican Culture
Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic
Spanish Language & Mexican Culture
Spanish Language & Peruvian Culture