Information for term Spanish Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineMay 12, 2021
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: May 12, 2021
- Dates: Jul 5 – Aug 6, 2021 (5 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Experience Spanish immersion online, earn 3 college credits
This summer, see your Spanish language skills soar on a five-week interactive journey, delivered online and in real-time by our best teachers in Spain!
Leveraging our study abroad experience, this course draws from authentic audiovisual resources and our network of local teachers and friends to get you talking and practicing Spanish with native speakers! Get ready to explore Spain’s rich history and cultural landmarks, debate with your classmates about current events or engage in peer chats and virtual activities with local Spanish people.
This program requires at least one year of high school Spanish. You will be placed in a class with students who have a similar proficiency level. We keep groups small (16 students max per class) to give you plenty of opportunities to participate, engage with your teacher and peers, and grow your language skills.
Alternate between interactive class time and weekly personal research and practice: Login at 12:00 noon EDT (9:00 AM PDT) every day, Monday through Friday, for your two-hour interactive lesson (three hours on Wednesdays), then take your learning and practice further through personal assignments and research projects.
Thanks to Tulane University, our school of record, completing this course earns you 3 college credits. Learn more on how to obtain college credits.
56 hours of live Spanish language instruction and 70 hours of independent learning
DEMONSTRATED LANGUAGE GROWTH
Your growth will be documented through pre- and post-program assessment with the Avant STAMP (STAndards-based Measure of Proficiency) online test. Last summer, 75% of participants significantly improved their language skills!
3 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college.
Location & CultureClick to Open
Taught by a native speaker, this course’s communicative approach will help you improve your Spanish proficiency at lightning speed, while taking you on a virtual journey through Spain’s rich cultural heritage.
You will be awestruck by the beauty and diversity of this country, birthplace to the second most widely spoken language in the world.
Spain is a country of vibrant cities, Moorish castles, fun festivals, mouthwatering tapas, and world-class museums. It has a long and exciting history and a lively contemporary cultural scene.
In this program, you will have the opportunity to discover Barcelona’s imaginative buildings, Madrid’s art scene, Seville’s cultural history, Alicante’s quaint medieval district, and Palma’s magnificent market. You will gain a deep and nuanced understanding of linguistic and cultural differences within this rich country called España.
Daily LifeClick to Open
- Login at 12 noon EDT, Monday through Friday, for two hours (three hours on Wednesdays) of live, interactive instruction with a native-speaking instructor from Spain. You will:
- Watch videos, listen to songs, and read authentic texts
- Acquire new vocabulary and structures as your instructor models new language
- Play lively games and interact with peers from across the U.S.
- Engage in real-life communicative tasks
- Have a 10-minute break in between tasks
- Each day pursue another 2–3 hours of exploratory, independent learning. You will:
- Prepare for next day’s class by reading articles, exploring websites, etc.
- Work on weekly projects
- Follow your own passions and areas of interest (en español, of course)
- Chat with a Spaniard teen a couple times a week
- Wednesdays are for real-world connections! You will:
- Converse with guest speakers about various cultural topics and current events
- Learn from local experts and engage in cultural activities (for example: learn how to cook a tortilla española, dance flamenco, or recognize Gaudí's architecture)
Immerse yourself in the Spanish language and culture from the comfort of your home!
Participation requires access to a computer with microphone and webcam; a stable and strong internet connection; and a quiet and well-lit environment.
ActivitiesClick to Open
Embark on a linguistic and cultural adventure through engaging communicative activities.
- Analyze Barcelona’s street art and profile a street artist
- Participate in a panel of music judges as you listen to Spanish songs
- Role-play shopping at Madrid’s famous market El Rastro
- Discover Seville’s local celebrations
- Create a persuasive slogan for an awareness campaign
- Ask guest speakers about current events
Please note the activities vary from level to level, but they are all designed to provide you with insights into Spain’s culture and ways of life.
What People are Saying
I felt that I learned a lot in a short period of time, and we learned about very authentic aspects of the culture!Louise B.
It was an amazing opportunity. I was able to learn on my Spanish skills and connect with other people. There's a lot of group work so it's easy to learn and help your classmates out.Cynthia S.
I was able to improve my Spanish skills, and I was able to challenge myself through this program. I also learned many new things about Spanish culture and informal language that I was not taught in school. It was a great experience.Maymouna B.
I think this course taught me a lot and it was easy to understand and organized.Phoebe D.
It provided a lot of opportunities to improve in all areas of the language. Furthermore, it was a very consistent class with a manageable and interesting workload. I was able to learn a lot of new cultural things as well as solidify my knowledge of the language.Wynne M.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- At least one year of high school Spanish
- Access to a computer with microphone and webcam; a stable and strong internet connection; and a quiet and well-lit environment
- Program open to all current high school students
- Global Navigator scholarship cannot be applied to online learning
APPLICATION FEE (NON-REFUNDABLE)
COLLEGE CREDIT FEE
Included in this online learning program tuition. Learn more on how to obtain college credits.
|Summer 2021 5 weeks||May 12, 2021||Jul 5, 2021||Aug 6, 2021||