Information for term French Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Application DeadlineMay 12, 2021
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Deadline: May 12, 2021
- Dates: Jul 5 – Aug 6, 2021 (5 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Experience French immersion online, earn 3 college credits
This summer, see your French language skills soar on a five-week interactive journey, delivered online and in real-time by our best teachers in France!
Leveraging our study abroad experience, this course draws from authentic audiovisual resources and our network of local teachers and friends to get you talking and practicing French with native speakers! Get ready to explore France’s rich history and cultural landmarks (edible or not), debate with your classmates about current events, or engage in peer chats and virtual activities with local French people.
This program requires at least one year of high school French. You will be placed in a class with students who have a similar proficiency level. We keep groups small (16 students max per class) to give you plenty of opportunities to participate, engage with your teacher and peers, and grow your language skills.
Alternate between interactive class time and weekly personal research and practice: Login at 12:00 noon EDT (9:00 AM PDT) every day, Monday through Friday, for your two-hour interactive lesson (three hours on Wednesdays), then take your learning and practice further through personal assignments and research projects.
Thanks to Tulane University, our school of record, completing this course earns you 3 college credits. Learn more on how to obtain college credits.
56 hours of live French language instruction and 70 hours of independent learning
DEMONSTRATED LANGUAGE GROWTH
Your growth will be documented through pre- and post-program assessment with the Avant STAMP (STAndards-based Measure of Proficiency) online test. Last summer, 75% of participants significantly improved their language skills!
3 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college.
Location & CultureClick to Open
Taught by a native speaker, this course’s communicative approach will help you improve your French proficiency at lightning speed, while taking you on a virtual journey through France’s rich cultural heritage.
Fashion, cuisine, art, and history abound in the most visited country in the world.
France is home to some of the world’s most influential writers and thinkers, world-class chefs, innovative scientists, and amazing artists. It is also a country of striking natural beauty and full of exuberant life.
On this program, you will explore various regions and landmarks, from medieval villages in the northwest to the aerospace industry in the south. You will learn why Paris is known as the “City of Lights,” Toulouse is called La Ville Rose, and Rennes was named France’s “most livable city.”
Daily LifeClick to Open
- Login at 12 noon EDT, Monday through Friday, for two hours (three hours on Wednesdays) of live, interactive instruction with a native-speaking instructor from France. You will:
- Watch videos, listen to songs, and read authentic texts
- Acquire new vocabulary and structures as your instructor models new language
- Play lively games and interact with peers from across the U.S.
- Engage in real-world communicative tasks
- Have a 10-minute break in between tasks
- Each day pursue another 2-3 hours of exploratory, independent learning. You will:
- Prepare for next day’s class by reading, exploring websites, etc.
- Work on weekly projects
- Follow your own passions and areas of interest (en français, of course)
- Chat with a French teen a couple of times a week
- Wednesdays are for real-life connections! You will
- Converse with guest speakers about various cultural topics and current events.
- Learn from local experts and engage in cultural activities (for example: learn how to prepare crêpes, appreciate impressionist paintings, or tell stories behind thousand-year old monuments)
Immerse yourself in the French language and culture from the comfort of your home!
Participation requires access to a computer with microphone and webcam; a stable and strong internet connection; and a quiet and well-lit environment
ActivitiesClick to Open
Embark on a linguistic and cultural adventure through engaging communicative activities.
- Analyze Paris’ street art and profile a street artist
- Participate in a panel of music judges as you listen to French songs
- Role-play shopping at Renne’s famous market Marché des Lices
- Discover Toulouse’s local celebrations
- Create a persuasive slogan for an awareness campaign
- Ask guest speakers about current events
Please note the activities vary from level to level, but they are all designed to provide you with insights into France’s culture and ways of life.
What People are Saying
The approach to learning a language is fabulous at CIEE. We didn’t spend hours learning vocabulary and grammar by heart, but somehow still learned a lot without much effort because we did so in a fun way.Lucia B.
It was an amazing experience! Even virtually, I was able to learn, be engaged, and meet amazing people.Sofia C.
This course is both challenging and supportive. In other words, it creates an environment where one can thrive.Crystal S.
It was very fun and effective in helping me improve my speaking, writing, listening, and reading skills in the target language.Bershnica L.
One of the best things was that our teacher was so kind and motivated to help us, ready to explain the same thing many times in different ways in French to ensure that we understood it. And my classmates were really nice too and I could connect with most of them even if we didn't really have opportunities of one-on-one conversations to get to know each other on a deeper level.Lucia B.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- At least one year of high school French
- Access to a computer with microphone and webcam; a stable and strong internet connection; and a quiet and well-lit environment
- Program open to all current high school students
- Global Navigator scholarship cannot be applied to online learning
APPLICATION FEE (NON-REFUNDABLE)
COLLEGE CREDIT FEE
Included in this online learning program tuition. Learn more on how to obtain college credits.
|Summer 2021 5 weeks||May 12, 2021||Jul 5, 2021||Aug 6, 2021||