Information for term Leadership Through Outdoor Education
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 12 – Jul 2, 2022 (3 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 10 – 30, 2022 (3 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Develop your leadership skills with the gorgeous Moroccan outdoors as your backdrop.
This summer, build valuable communication, leadership and problem-solving skills as you push yourself outside your comfort zone and discover the great Moroccan outdoors! Channel your inner Indiana Jones as you hike and interact with locals in remote Berber villages, explore natural waterfalls, kayak on Morocco's largest river and take part in cultural festivals in the High Atlas Mountain.
In your home base of Rabat, live an authentic immersion in the rich cultural traditions of Morocco through cultural activities and excursions: explore the ancient ruins of Chellah, try out local foods, bargain at the local market! During this program, you will explore different geographical regions of Morocco and explore how these traditional communities engage with the world. We will concurrently build leadership skills by translating cultural values into action and learning to see the world from different perspectives from the local communities.
Self-reflect on your own experience and leadership style through workshops, team activities, and a reflection journal. Build intercultural competence as you learn how to recognize and bridge cultural differences. Come home more self-confident, with a deeper understand of who you are and how you can effectively work with other students or team mates to make a difference in your community and grow as a global citizen. Explore the culturally rich terrains of Morocco- from the Atlantic and Mediterranean coast, to the Atlas and Rif Mountains.
Immerse yourself in the local Moroccan culture and bond with a tight-knit group of curious teens like you. Broaden your horizon and reflect on your own leadership style and strengths as you explore the great Moroccan outdoors.
LIFELONG SKILLS AND FRIENDSHIPS
After just 3 weeks away, you'll build self-confidence, gain a broader world view, improve your interpersonal communication skills and make lifelong friends from all across the U.S.
CREDENTIALS FOR YOUR FUTURE
Topics for your college essays, experience to inform your future career, a Certificate of 12 hours of Service Learning.
Location & CultureClick to Open
Rabat offers a unique combination of modern and traditional architecture, lovely gardens, and green spaces.
No North African city is more welcoming and hospitable than Rabat. Less crowded and more relaxed than neighboring destinations, it is known for its open, progressive society and prime location on the Atlantic coast.
Arabic and French are the main languages you’ll hear on the streets along with the English-speaking youth. From ancient markets to French Colonial architecture to opulent foreign embassies, the city has a unique mix of colorful styles and cultures along with a beautiful balance of tradition and modernity. Palm trees line boulevards and lush gardens make the city pleasantly livable.
During this program, you will discover nature and build personal leadership in one of the world’s most diverse landscapes. Join us as we explore the beautiful landscape and rich cultural traditions of Morocco.
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Rabat.
Daily LifeClick to Open
Every day brings new discoveries and fun, but you can always count on a perfect balance between interactive instruction, excursions and free time! Here's what to expect on a typical day:
- 7:00 am: Get up and have breakfast at your dorm/hotel
- 8:00 am: Walk or take public transportation to CIEE for morning instruction
- 9:00 am - 12:00 pm: Interactive class with a local teacher. Format may change to workshops or guest lectures, depending on the day.
- 12:00 pm - 1:00pm: Find a fun spot to grab lunch with your friends (your program tuition includes a stipend for lunches).
- 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm: Gather back at CIEE to go on today's cultural activity or excursion.
- 1:30 pm - 5:00 pm: Each activity or excursion is designed to echo what you learned in class that morning.
- 5:00 pm - 7:00pm: Free time! Hang out with your friends and shop. Commute back to your hotel/dorm.
- 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Dinner
- 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm: Wrap up any homework. Usually just readings or personal research for your project.
- 10:00 pm: Lights out!
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog.
Carefully vetted homestays
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Explore Morocco's "silk road" of medieval villages
- Visit the ancient ruins of Chellah and traditional Koranic schools
- Experience riding a camel and meet traditional nomadic tribes
- go horse back riding through Rabat’s ceder tree forests
- hiking in the Atlas and Rif mountains
- Explore tidal basins and the Atlantic coast of Morocco while you learn to surf
- Kayak Morocco's largest river
- Learn tradition crafts with local artisans
- trekking in the Amazigh villages of Morocco and meeting with locals for storytelling sessions
- Zip-line and hike through Morocco’s High Atlas Mountains
- Learn how to make argan oil from scratch using century old techniques
- Star-gaze in the Sahara desert as you explore Morocco’s sacred astronomy traditions
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances, covid-related measures and restrictions and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
|Summer Session I 2022 3 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 12, 2022||Jul 2, 2022||
|Summer Session II 2022 3 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 10, 2022||Jul 30, 2022||