Information for term Spanish Language & Mexican Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 10 – Jul 7, 2018 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 8 – Aug 4, 2018 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Take your Spanish to new heights – more than a mile up in the mountains of central Mexico.
More than a mile up in the mountains of central Mexico, CIEE will take your language skills to new heights. Against a beautiful backdrop, you’ll improve your Spanish by leaps and bounds while taking part in meaningful interactions with the community.
You’ll spend most mornings building your Spanish language skills with one of our expert language professors. After class you’ll hang with the locals, taking part in fun, organized activities with your classmates and other Spanish high school teens. Play futbol, try your hand at traditional prehispanic pottery, and take part in a class in Mexican cuisine taught by a renowned chef.
To deepen your experience even more, you’ll live with a typical multi-generational host family and get a rare perspective on life in Mexico today. Your proficiency in Spanish will grow every day, as you converse, and prepare and share meals with your host family. With newfound confidence, you’ll learn to speak Spanish independently in shops, markets, and cafes throughout the city.
60 hours of instruction in Spanish by CIEE professors
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college
A certificate of language learning in Spanish, and documented language growth through pre- and post- program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Immerse yourself in the culture of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
A historic silver-mining city, Guanajuato is an official UNESCO World Heritage Site with many working artisans and cultural institutions. It has a rich history spanning from pre-Hispanic times through its colonial era, and has been independent since 1810.
Surrounded by mountains, the center of the city has beautiful scenery and cultural attractions like the Plaza de la Paz. Stroll among the mansions, churches, and courtyards and practice your Spanish in local shops that sell handicrafts and souvenirs.
Daily LifeClick to Open
"We began to cook a meal for ourselves consisting of Sopa Azteca, guacamole, quesadillas, biztec, and gelatina. Everyone had a blast making these meals..."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts above.
Carefully Screened Host Family
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Climb a pyramid at the Teotihuacan archaeological zone.
- Join in a Mexican music and dance workshop, taught by members of a local band.
- Try your hand at pottery and metal engraving, and chat with local artisans.
- Prepare some of the region’s delicious dishes.
- Catch some foreign flicks at the weeklong Guanajuato International Film Festival.
- Experience a Temazcal steam bath and other ancient Mesoamerican traditions.
- Get your kicks by playing futbol with local students.
- Explore Mexico City and the wonders of Xochimilco, the ancient Aztec city of canals, on a weekend excursion.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- At least one year of High School Spanish. For intensive language immersion, see our Alicante or Palma de Mallorca programs.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Optional College Credit Fee
$100 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2018 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 10, 2018||Jul 7, 2018||
|Summer Session II 2018 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 8, 2018||Aug 4, 2018||