Information for term French Language Intensive
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jun 9 – Jul 6, 2019 (4 weeks)
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 7 – Aug 3, 2019 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Improve your French while discovering the unique traditions and breathtaking landscapes of Brittany.
Set in the lively city of Rennes, this program offers a challenging alternative to our most motivated French learners: open exclusively to students with two years of High School French and above, this program requires that participants speak French at all times. So get ready for a full immersion!
After morning language classes, you’ll spend an hour per day practicing your skills out in the community – speaking and reading French in markets, cafes, and parks. Later in the afternoon, enjoy regular group gatherings and guided excursions to culturally and historically significant sites with your program leader, a U.S. French teacher.
Full immersion means you’ll also have daily opportunities to practice French with your host family as you prepare and share meals, shop in authentic markets, and learn local customs. There’s also plenty of free time to hang out with new friends, grab a coffee and plate of crepes, and take in the sights and sounds of local village life.
60 hours of instruction in French by CIEE professors,
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college
A certificate of learning in French, and documented language growth through pre- and post-program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Experience the real France, off the well-worn tourist track.
Named France’s "most livable city,” it’s a gem in the French Northwest – a scenic region of medieval villages, rugged beaches, and dramatic natural landscapes.
A one-time capital of Brittany and today a leading center for digital innovation, Rennes is a blend of the quaint and the cutting edge. Here you’ll deepen your understanding of French amid centuries-old traditions juxtaposed with the vibrant cultural scene driven by the city’s young – and student-friendly – population. Home to the French punk scene in the ’80s, Rennes has a long roster of festivals – music, cinema, and now gaming – and no shortage of things to do year-round.
No visit to Rennes is complete without trying the galette-saucisse, a combination sausage roll/pancake. The city also holds one of the most important food markets in France, featuring a full range local Breton specialties. Bring your appetites and get ready to explore!
Daily LifeClick to Open
"As our four-week session in Rennes comes to a close, I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all been doing a lot of reflecting on the progress we’ve made and the experiences we’ve had here in France."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts above.
Carefully Screened Host Family
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Visit historic places such as the Parlement de Bretagne, Musée de Bretagne, and Musée des Beaux-Arts.
- Take a guided tour of Rennes or join other CIEE students on a scavenger hunt around the city.
- Indulge in delectable crêpes and other regional specialties on the Balade Gourmande (gourmet tour) of Rennes.
- Go green on a field trip to a local ecomusée, complete with its own farm.
- Embark on two, one day tours of Dinan/Mont-Saint-Michel and St Malo.
- Join peers on a multi-day excursion to Cornouaille, learning the stories behind thousand-year-old monuments and village squares along the way.
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Two-plus years of High School French. For other proficiency levels, see our Toulouse and Paris programs.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insureance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
$150 Learn more
|Summer Session I 2019 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jun 9, 2019||Jul 6, 2019||
|Summer Session II 2019 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 7, 2019||Aug 3, 2019||