Information for term Advanced French Language & Culture
Application deadline, and cost information.
Program Deadlines and Pricing Info
- Dates: Jul 11 – Aug 7, 2021 (4 weeks)
OverviewClick to Open
Join a group of highly motivated language learners in picturesque Brittany!
This program offers an exciting and challenging alternative for more proficient language learners! While all our Language & Culture programs offer intensive immersion, this “Advanced” program is designed to group students who have intermediate to advanced fluency in French and the drive to take their language and cross-cultural understanding to the next level.
Our Advanced cohort will:
- Take a language proficiency pre-test to ensure all participants have the fluency required to stay in French at all times. No novice learners can be accepted on this program.
- Strictly adhere to the CIEE Global Navigator Language Pledge to always use French in and out of class for a grade.
- Provide feedback on your language course every week through a survey, so that our local teachers can adapt lessons to meet the group’s needs.
If you are still excited after reading this introduction, you found the right program!
If you can continue reading this page without a dictionary, you are going to rock this and need to fill out an application tout de suite!
Après ton cours de français le matin – prépare-toi à mettre en pratique ce que tu as appris en classe dans la ville, au marché, dans les cafés ou dans les parcs! L’après-midi, retrouve ton groupe pour des animations culturelles ou des excursions qui te feront découvrir les merveilles historiques de Rennes et sa région. Toutes ces activités sont menées tambour battant par ton chef de programme local, spécialement recruté.e par CIEE pour accompagner le groupe.
Vivre une pleine immersion veut dire que tu auras aussi l’occasion de pratiquer ton français avec ta famille d’accueil lorsque tu prépares les repas, fais les boutiques ou découvres les habitudes de la famille ou les coutumes locales.
Chaque jour, tu auras aussi du temps libre, pour voir tes amis, flâner dans la ville, aller boire un chocolat chaud ou manger une crêpe et profiter des attractions locales à ton propre rythme.
60 hours of instruction in French by CIEE professors,
4 college credits may be used to apply toward your future college degree, to demonstrate your ability to do college-level work, or to test out of a language level in college
A certificate of learning in French, and documented language growth through pre- and post-program testing
Location & CultureClick to Open
Experience the real France, off the well-worn tourist track.
Rennes is regularly ranked as France’s one "most livable cities”. It’s a gem in the French Northwest – a scenic region of medieval villages, rugged beaches, and dramatic natural landscapes.
A one-time capital of Brittany and today a leading center for digital innovation, Rennes is a blend of the quaint and the cutting edge. Here you’ll deepen your understanding of French amid centuries-old traditions juxtaposed with the vibrant cultural scene driven by the city’s young – and student-friendly – population. Home to the French punk scene in the ’80s, Rennes has a long roster of festivals – music, cinema, and now gaming – and no shortage of things to do year-round.
The city also holds one of the most important food markets in France, featuring a full range local Breton specialties such as crêpes, galettes and kouign amann. Bring your appetites and get ready to explore!
Daily LifeClick to Open
"As our four-week session in Rennes comes to a close, I think it’s safe to say that we’ve all been doing a lot of reflecting on the progress we’ve made and the experiences we’ve had here in France."
Learn more about daily life on a high school study abroad program by reading our blog posts below.
Carefully Screened Homestay
24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members
Program BlogsClick to Open
ActivitiesClick to Open
- Indulge in delectable crêpes and other regional specialties and become familiar with Rennes by experiencing your senses: observation, taste, smell, hearing...
- Visit historic places such as the Parlement de Bretagne, Musée de Bretagne, and Musée des Beaux-Arts.
- Go green as you work together around the rehabilitation of a shared community garden, and discover its utility and function within an urban neighborhood.
- Discover Rennes from a new perspective while canoeing quietly the canal Saint Martin.
- Explore the corsair city of St Malo, admire the view from its ramparts, and enjoy one of the most beautiful beaches in France.
- Head back to medieval time while visiting Mont Saint Michel, where you will learn about the history and architecture of this remarkable world heritage UNESCO site.
Please note this list of activities is based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to both adapt to local circumstances, covid-related measures and restrictions and participant feedback. Our goal when revising itineraries is always to enhance your experience. Every activity is designed to provide you with a deep immersion in your topic, local culture and sights. Get ready for maximum fun!
Dates & FeesClick to Open
Dates & Fees
- Two-plus years of High School French. For other proficiency levels, see our Toulouse and Paris programs.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. More details about tuition inclusions can be found here.
Optional College Credit Fee
$150 Learn more
|Summer Session II 2021 4 weeks||Rolling Admissions||Jul 11, 2021||Aug 7, 2021||